Best panoramic train and boat trips in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 17:26:12 #812318

Hi,

I will be traveling from Paris to Switzerland by Train. I’m also planning to buy Swiss Travel pass which means ill just have to buy my train ticket from Paris to some border city of Switzerland, should that be Basel or some other city . I’m Planning to go to Lucerne so my question is will I be able to cover any Panoramic Train routes to reach to Lucerne from Paris as I don’t have many days to cover all the panoramic Trips.

I’m also wiling to change the destination of Lucerne if i’m able to cover any of panoramic route from Paris.

Also please help me with the below question.

• please suggest me which are the best 2 panoramic routes to consider.
    • The best scenic boat trips to cover out of all mention in this site.

Thank you for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 12:05:18 #865375

Hi Dasari23,

From Paris, the border town would be Basel if you indeed head to Luzern (for tickets Paris to Basel see here). There are no Panoramic trains on this route. The panoramic trains in Switzerland are noted here. 2 of these trains start in Luzern and go further in Switzerland: The Golden Pass route goes to Montreux and the Gotthard Panoramic Express goes to Lugano.
    You could do either of these trains the day after your arrival in Luzern (are you staying there for several days?)

Alternatively, if you don’t have enough time for the above plan, you could train from Paris to Geneva and then a regular train to Montreux and from there take the Golden Pass from there to Luzern – although this is a long day indeed!

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to help plan your train trips.

As for scenic boat rides, I think all are great, but perhaps Luzern is the lake cruise to choose if I had to pick just one.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 1:25:35 #865376

Hi Dasari,

The map below shows you where the panoramic routes in Switzerland are. The Wilhelm Tell Express is now called the Gotthard Panorama Express. I hope this helps.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/en/pdf/en_bahnhof -services/en_am-bahnhof/en_unsere-bahnhoefe/panoramic-routes.pdf

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Best panoramic train and boat trips in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.