Rail pass combinations for Germany/Switzerland

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Rgcrcl1234
Rgcrcl1234
18 posts
Jul 1, 2018 - 1:23 AM

I must call upon your expert advice once more! I am having difficulty determining the best combination of passes to obtain for my holiday in August. My "FINAL" itinerary will require the following:

Travel within Frankfurt, Germany will be:

1) from the airport to the hotel/some daily inner-city transportation which look to be covered with either a Frankfurt 1 or 2 day travel card available or/VGF daily fares

2) At least one - possibly 2 days of travel to sights outside of Frankfurt (ie Heidelberg),

3) Train travel from Frankfurt to Lucerne.

Once in Lucerne, day trips will include:

1) Boat trip to Vitznau, then train/cable car

2) Train ride/cable car to Mount Titlis.

We will then have to travel by train from Lucerne to Zurich.

So we will have a combination of travel needs which will require a combination of trains/cable cars/boat within both countries AND from one country to the other.

Will I need to purchase a Eurail pass AND one of the Swiss travel passes? Your thoughts?

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
Jul 1, 2018 - 8:39 AM in reply to Rgcrcl1234

Without doing the math, there is no way to know which is most economical for you.

I would probably look at either the Eurail Select Pass for Germany and Switzerland and/or the Swiss Tell Pass as it sounds like you are only traveling around Lucerne (except trip to Zurich)

Last modified on Jul 1, 2018 - 9:32 AM by Annika

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019