Rail pass combinations for Germany/Switzerland

• Rgcrcl1234
    Participant
    18 posts
    1 July 2018 at 1:23:49 #816990

I must call upon your expert advice once more! I am having difficulty determining the best combination of passes to obtain for my holiday in August. My “FINAL” itinerary will require the following:

Travel within Frankfurt, Germany will be:

1) from the airport to the hotel/some daily inner-city transportation which look to be covered with either a Frankfurt 1 or 2 day travel card available or/VGF daily fares

2) At least one – possibly 2 days of travel to sights outside of Frankfurt (ie Heidelberg),

3) Train travel from Frankfurt to Lucerne.

Once in Lucerne, day trips will include:

1) Boat trip to Vitznau, then train/cable car

2) Train ride/cable car to Mount Titlis.

We will then have to travel by train from Lucerne to Zurich.

So we will have a combination of travel needs which will require a combination of trains/cable cars/boat within both countries AND from one country to the other.

Will I need to purchase a Eurail pass AND one of the Swiss travel passes? Your thoughts?

• The thread ‘Rail pass combinations for Germany/Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.