Rail pass combinations for Germany/Switzerland

Rail pass combinations for Germany/Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Rgcrcl1234
Rgcrcl1234
15 posts
Jul 1, 2018 - 1:23 AM

I must call upon your expert advice once more! I am having difficulty determining the best combination of passes to obtain for my holiday in August. My "FINAL" itinerary will require the following:

Travel within Frankfurt, Germany will be:

1) from the airport to the hotel/some daily inner-city transportation which look to be covered with either a Frankfurt 1 or 2 day travel card available or/VGF daily fares

2) At least one - possibly 2 days of travel to sights outside of Frankfurt (ie Heidelberg),

3) Train travel from Frankfurt to Lucerne.

Once in Lucerne, day trips will include:

1) Boat trip to Vitznau, then train/cable car

2) Train ride/cable car to Mount Titlis.

We will then have to travel by train from Lucerne to Zurich.

So we will have a combination of travel needs which will require a combination of trains/cable cars/boat within both countries AND from one country to the other.

Will I need to purchase a Eurail pass AND one of the Swiss travel passes? Your thoughts?

Lucas
Lucas
7275 posts
expert &
Jul 1, 2018 - 8:39 AM in reply to Rgcrcl1234

Without doing the math, there is no way to know which is most economical for you.

I would probably look at either the Eurail Select Pass for Germany and Switzerland and/or the Swiss Tell Pass as it sounds like you are only traveling around Lucerne (except trip to Zurich)

Last modified on Jul 1, 2018 - 9:32 AM by Annika

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018