Photos-glare on windows of Swiss panoramic trains

• Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    27 April 2019 at 17:00:11 #821269

I had planned the Bernina and Glacier expresses plus some local trains.

But I’m reading that the Glacier is virtually impossible for taking good pictures due to glare/reflection. Is that correct?

I understand the Bernina has open windows by the luggage areas so you can hover and twist for some shots. Is that correct?

Any recommendations for train lines/routes that will provide great scenery I can actually capture? (i.e. is the Gotthard any better?)

Thanks much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2019 at 20:49:47 #910672

The glacier express excellence class also has an open window for photos at one end of the car. The regional trains have windows that open but they do not travel as slowly as the GEX and the experience is different.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 April 2019 at 5:49:21 #910673

Whether you can take good photos depends on the weather conditions amongst other things. I never saw any open windows in the 1st Class carriages on either the Glacier or Bernina Express.

The Gotthard Panorama Express has a special “photogtapher’s coach”. As paddington says, all the regular trains on those routes are likely to have more prospect to opening windows. But expect intimidating glares from your fellow travellers if you cause them to get blown out of their seats.

If you want to see some examples of photo’s shot through train windows see my 2017 trip report at bit.ly/2GEUfob.

A UV filter might help and getting the lens as close to the window as possible can also help.

Rogerpeth
    Participant
    13 posts
    30 April 2019 at 20:02:04 #910674

If you are using an SLR, Another tip for train and any other glass eg Aquarium is to buy a rubber lens hood Hoya make these in various diameters You fit to the camera and hold the edge of the hood against the glass making as much of a light right seal as you can. This allows you to hold the camera back from the glass a little to prevent hitting the camera on the glass. I don’t know if these are available for other cameras like bridge cameras. Takes practice but does work. On trains with opening windows people do seem to get upset about this. I was shouted at even though I was the complete opposite end of the otherwise empty carriage and ignored the concerns. Hope this helps

• The thread ‘Photos-glare on windows of Swiss panoramic trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.