Where to rent warm jackets for mountain peaks?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2017 at 8:59:02 #812873

Hello – we are going to be in Switzerland August 26-30. We are coming from Italy and starting on the Bernina Express and spending the first night in Engelberg. The second day we are going to Mt. Titlis, then heading to Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights. Weather permitting we plan on going to both Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn as well as exploring the beauty of Lauterbrunnen. Fourth night will be spent in Basel where we catch our Rhine River cruise. This is a 3 week trip and we are trying to pack as light as possible, is there someplace we can rent jackets for the 3 peaks? Every other city we are going is having record heat, so if I didn’t have to pack warm clothes that would be awesome. Also what is the average amount of time people spend on the peaks?

So far we purchased the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass and Bernina reservations and upgrade and were able to pick print online but when we try to purchase the Mt. Titlis tickets it will not allow us to choose online tickets. Is there a way to get around this? If not online, where do we purchase the peak tickets. We plan on taking the first tram/train up for each peak. If we purchase tickets the day of where do we buy them and approximately how long will it take to purchase them?

Last, I was wondering both of our hotels in Engelberg and Lauterbrunnen want us to pay in local cash and don’t allow cc. How does everyone do this? I really don’t want to carry large sums of money and with the activities planned I can’t imagine finding time to go to a bank. What is the easiest and cheapest way to pay like this?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I have enjoyed reading the different thread and am amazed with all the wonderful information you are giving out.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2017 at 10:26:47 #867987

Hi madebysade,

I would lean to packing a sweater and rain coat and using those for trips up the mountain. It often isn’t terribly cold at the top of the mountains this time of year (5 to 10 degrees) so that should be sufficient for you? Some towns you may want a sweater at night anyway (we’ve had record heat in Zurich but last night was about 15 degrees and windy and I wanted a sweater so you may want to pack one.

I think the average time on a peak is about 2 hours but this depends on any activities you may want to do there.

If you are having trouble buying tickets for Mt. Titlis online you can also buy them at any rail station. The length of time depends on the lines at the ticket office (or at a ticket machine).

It’s isn’t too surprising about needing cash to pay for some hotels in Switzerland (they do like their cash here). If they insist on cash you will have to find a bank machine to withdrawal or a currency exchange (bank machines are usually best).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Where to rent warm jackets for mountain peaks?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.