Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 21:06:14 #811755

I am planning a trip in July/August for 11 days, as follows:

Day 1 – Lucern – Viatour to Jungfrauloch/Bernese Oberland,

Day 2 – Lucern – Viatour to Mt Pilatus

[Days 3 – 5 Time with family]

Day 6 – 8 – Zermatt, St. Moritz, Zermatt – Glacier Express

Day 9 Interlaken – Brienzer Rothorn by boat, train (see website into)

Day 10 Interlaken – Schilthorn/Murren/Lauterbrunen (see website info)

Day 11 Zurich

Any suggestions? Thoughts? I have a car. Do I need a half-fare/GA card for the train travel?

Thanks!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 14:51:24 #863075

Hi Suefark,

The itinerary seems fine to me. Do you think you are missing anything particular?

Are you planning on using your car at all on these trips? You really don’t need it for any travel in Switzerland or indeed for the trips you mention. Switzerland is easier to see on a train!

If you don’t use a car you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass which will cover most of your trips completely (see here for a map of validity and the attractions that it covers).

If you are sticking with a car a Swiss Half Fare Card will be useful for you on the train trips you will take.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2017 at 13:45:23 #863076

Thanks. The main reason I was renting a car is because I am traveling round-trip to Albertville, France 7/28-7/31 and trains seemed to take too long (6 hours). Any info or suggestions are much appreciated.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2017 at 16:00:46 #863077

Hi Suefark,

Indeed Albertville to Lucerne take 5 to 6 hours by train. By car it takes 4h15 without traffic jams or breaks, so likely at least 5 hours too. Personally I wouldn’t see that minor difference as a reason to do the entire trip in Switzerland by car. Each mode of transport has its pros and cons. Lucas gave you a few good links to help you reach a decision. Just let us know if more questions come up.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 16:24:33 #863078

Thanks for all your advise. It is much appreciated. We are now looking into a travel pass. It seems we need a Eurail France/Switzerland Select Pass vs. Swiss Travel Pass since we are going to France. We are booking on MySwitzerland.com and have included the Glacier Express and one way from Lucern to Albertville. There are some additional costs even with a Travel Pass, correct?

The site will not give me schedules or ticket info from Albertville to Zermatt. Not sure why. It does give info from Chambery to Zermatt but that’s 1/2 hour drive from Albertville. Help please!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 16:27:52 #863079

The cost so far with the Eurail Travel Pass is about $1000 with the $724 Eurail Pass, Glacier Express and one way Lucerne to Albertville. Does that sound correct? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 8:33:40 #863080

Hi Suefark,

You can read about the costs and what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here. There are some routes into the mountains where there is an extra cost involved (Jungfraujoch for example is a 25% discount from Grindelwald/Wengen for Swiss Travel Pass holders).
    However, you also get many free museum entrances and almost all trains are free. You still must make a reservation on the Glacier Express no matter what ticket or rail pass you have.

To help you with comparing the calculations if tickets and rail passes, including the Eurail Select Pass use our link here with a helpful excel sheet.

You shouldn’t have any trouble find the train schedule on the Swiss railways timetable here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Planned itinerary Switzerland July/August 11 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.