Itinerary help – 5 nights in June in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 10:13:16 #813800

Hello,

I am planning 5nights stay in Switzerland around of the mid june 2018-for now we are thinking of starting our journey from ZURICH and move on to Lucerne,Interlaken,Zermatt and St. Moritz. My queries where i need help are-

1.Where should I make my base which is not very expensive too-I would be taking up an apartment -we are 6 adults or do u suggest to keep shifting and not putting up in one place only.

2.Is it a good idea to visit Zermat and St.Mortiz in summers as i feel its more of a winter destination.

3.Which panoramic train should we do-Though we are looking for Glacier express.

4.Which swiss pass would be beneficial for us.

5.we plan to visit Jungfrau but dont need any guided tour-what would be the ticket price and what help is avilable through the swiss pass for visiting this-we chose jungfrau between titlis and jungfau.

6.If you have any other suggestion to choose any other snow covered mountains besides titlis and jungfrau as we would be visting only one.

7.What more towns can be covered from lucerne/interlaken.

8.Further we plan to visit paris-so which city is more nearer to paris.

Thanks

sonia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 17:04:31 #872777

Hello ssonia and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. This depends on what part of the Glacier Express route you will do. If you do the full route we recommend at least one night in Zermatt and one night in St. Moritz. You could still enjoy part of the route as a day trip from Interlaken or Lucerne. There’s more information on this page.
    2. What you’re looking for? You won’t find chalets covered in snow around this time of the year, but the mountains are beautiful in the summer too. There are plenty of nice hiking trails and snow skiing is a possibility as well. In Zermatt you can visit the Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn which can be done on the same day.
    3. You could combine parts of the Glacier Express and Gotthard Panorama Express in one day: Lucerne – Göschenen (Gotthard Panorama Express), Göschenen – Andermatt (cogwheel train), Andermatt – Zermatt (Glacier Express). I would then suggest skipping St. Moritz and spend a day in Zermatt to visit some of the highlights.
    4. For rail passes, have a look at the Swiss Travel Pass. This will get you free transport to most areas in Switzerland (and discounts on the other areas). The Glacier Express is for example covered by the pass.
    5. You will get a 25% discount on the train from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch. You can check prices here.
    6. These will be the mountains covered with snow in the Jungfrau region.
    7. Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald are worth a visit. They are close to Jungfrau so you could (actually should) consider staying in one of these villages. If you fancy a boat trip please have a look at Thun as well.
    8. From Interlaken it takes up to six hours to get to Paris by train, from Lucerne about 5 hours and should you decide to go to Zermatt and leave from there take into account that you will be traveling for 7 hours.

When planning your trip the Swiss timetable might be helpful. Please find it here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2017 at 14:05:41 #872778

Hello

Thank you for the quick reply

1) If we deceide to plan 5 nights in zurich/lucerne/interlaken – then where should we make our base-anywhere that we can find reasonable apartments is preferred..Not looking for hiking or skiing

2) If we have to choose between Golden pass line and galcier express-which one should we prefer

3) Is it possible to travel form lucerne to montreoux and get back to lucerne the same day

4) is it possible o travel from lucerne/interlakne to zermatt and return back the same day

5) Mt.titlis, Jungfrau. Mt.Rigis, Mt.Pilatus, Matterhorn – I wish to see only one out of them-Which one is suggested by you

6) Are there trains to move around within the same country and are the they included in the swiss travel pass as we would be going in for the Swiss travel pass

7)You suggested to combineine parts of the Glacier Express and Gotthard Panorama Express in one day: Lucerne – Göschenen (Gotthard Panorama Express), Göschenen – Andermatt (cogwheel train), if we dnt move further to Zermat…then is is possible to make a way back to lucerne the same day..

8) And if we move further to zermatt from andermatt by glacier express-is it possible to make way back to lucerne the same day

Thanks

ssonia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2017 at 17:21:16 #872779

Hi ssconia,

1. Zurich wouldn’t be the right place. Too far away from the activities you have in mind. Depending on which train ride and mountain you will visit, you should decide where to stay. Once you’ve made a decision you can look for apartments here.
    2. They’re both different and unique in their own way. Based on the suggestions I’ve given below you should look at what fits best in your itinerary.
    3. It is possible, however, it will be a very long day. I had a quick look at the time table and found a train leaving at 07:06 from Lucerne which brings you at 12:13 in Montreux. You could then take the train back at 15:44 which brings you in Lucerne at 20:55. Please note that the trip is shorter from Interlaken. Please click here to play with the time schedule and read the information on this page as well. To be sure to travel via the Golden Pass line, enter the via-stations Meiringen and Zweisimmen.
    4. No, that is not possible. It will take you two days. That’s why I suggested the combination of the two trains.
    5. Again, they are all unique in their own way. Matterhorn is not an option if your base is in Lucerne or Interlaken. Jungfraujouch is best to visit from Interlaken, and the other mountains from Lucerne.
    6. Are you asking if you can just hop on any train in Switzerland with the Swiss Travel Pass? If so, I can confirm you can. Some trains and cable cars are discounted. All information can be found here.
    7. Yes, that is doable.
    8. No, that is not possible.
  • The thread ‘Itinerary help – 5 nights in June in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.