Point to point train tickets Zurich to Sils Maria

• traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    18 August 2018 at 9:21:24 #817941

Hi,

I will be buying some Point to Point tickets and using my Half Fare Card when we return to Switzerland this 20 September 2018. I understand that tickets are only available 30 days before travel but I want to do some planning ahead.

When I input ZURICH FLUGHAFEN TO SILS IM MARIA, POSTA via St. Mortiz, there are 2 options:

1) One route is departure at 10:18am from the airport to the Zurich HB. Then transfer at Zurch HB for the CHUR to St. Moritz. At St. Moritz we take Bus No. 4 and arrive Sils Maria, Posta @ 14:31pm. The sbb or app says it costs around CHF 28.60

2) The 2nd option is for a transfer at LANDQUART instead of CHUR, arriving Sils Maria, Post @ 15:31pm. The sbb or app says it costs around CHF 30.80

QUESTIONS:

I would like to have an option of catching either the 1) or 2) above in case there is a delay due to flight arrivals.

Which route or price do I book that will give me a choice of either route i.e. transfer at Chur or Landquart ? Unless that isn’t possible.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2018 at 16:57:36 #894453

Hi Traveljet,

In your case, I think the easiest option is to buy the ticket at Zurich airport once you’ve arrived. At either the SBB office or from a ticket machine (available in English).

Tickets don’t sell out so there is no concern there.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    19 August 2018 at 0:54:06 #894454

Hi Lucas,

With regards to my questions, I am asking about how to go about it as I wish to buy it in advance online. If it is not possible, then I have no choice but to do it at the airport. But I would like to know the answer to my questions about the possibility of doing online purchase which is very convenient. After a long flight, I want to just be able to hop on the trains.,

I have always purchased my tickets in advance online. But have not had this problem of two prices with a different station transfer. Hence, my questions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 August 2018 at 9:49:59 #894455

Hi Traveljet,

The price I am getting for your first option is CHF 45.40 for Swiss Half Fare Card holders. With a change to the bus in Celerina, not St. Moritz, by the way (not a big difference). This is the price for a normal ticket, which is not tied to a specific train. Don’t get a ticket marked with a percentage sign unless you are 100% sure you can catch that specific train. It’s a Supersaver ticket, which can’t be used for other trains and can’t be refunded either.

The price I am getting for your second route varies between CHF 43.80 and 45.80. I think it’s fair to say that any of the regular tickets (not Supersaver) allows you to take either route. I’d buy the slightly more expensive ticket (45.80), and then double check with the train staff before your reach Landquart if you wish to take the other route than the one on your ticket. The actual ticket may even show both routes as valid options. In that case it may mention “Albula” and “Vereina” as valid routes. Albula is the tunnel on the route with the change in Chur and Vereina is the tunnel on the route with the change in Landquart.

Both options are attractive scenery wise, and both have slight variations as where to best catch the bus, depending on the time of day.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    19 August 2018 at 10:44:57 #894456

Hello Arno,

Thank you very much for the helpful reply especially about the 100% being a Supersaver ticket.

Its the train from Zurich Airport to Zurich HB that I am not so confident about (in case there is a delay in our flight arrival.). However, I am very sure we can catch the 12:07pm from Zurich HB to Sils Maria Posta via Landquart.

Since the Supersaver ticket is quite a big savings and I am sure about the 12:07pm from Zurich HB to SIls Maria Posta via LandQuart, can I:

1. Buy a separate ticket from Zurich Airport – Zurich HB to give me the flexibility of catching any train.

2. Buy the Supersaver ticket from Zurich HB to Sils Maria Posta via LandQuart & St. Moritz which is still available.

I already purchased a Half Fare Card. Is there any additional discount to the Supersaver ticket prices using the Half Fare Card?

Regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2018 at 17:03:17 #894457

Hi traveljet

Yes, you can do both points 1 and 2. The Swiss Half Fare Card can get you a further discount on the Supersaver ticket yes. Do note (unless you’ve done so successfully already) that often foreign credit cards aren’t accepted on the SBB website (not geared for tourists unfortunately). Let us know if it works for you.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    20 August 2018 at 7:08:00 #894458

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for confirming I can opt to buy a separate ticket from the Airport to HB.

No worries about my credit card being accepted. My experience buying my tickets the past two trips to Switzerland posed no problems with my card.

I also used my card to purchase 3 Swiss Half Fare cards online last week successfully. Thanks nevertheless for the caution.

To get back to what Arno advises about not selecting the option with the % which denotes Supersaver.

Strangely when I clicked on the % option to take a look, the price was no different from the standard price.

This is the % route for the Zurich Flughafen to Sils Maria Posta via LandQuart/St Moritz & bus No.4. Departing airport 11:47 am and Arriving 15:31pm

We are travelling 1st Class and the prices were similar to normal standard price. It shows Chf 73.80 and says 1st Class with Half Fare travel card. There is no option for Supersaver price.

Questions:

1. Does this mean there are no more Super saver deals and I am buying a Standard ticket instead?

2. If that is so, I can simply catch other train times if I choose to on the same route since it seems as if there are no Supersaver tickets left? Eg taking an earlier train from the airport to HB so the connection from HB to LandQuart isn’t so rushed.

3. When buying the tickets, I don’t see an option to select Half Fare Card under the Discount Code. It only shows Half Fare Travelcard. So I simply select Half Fare Travelcard even if I am using the Half Fare Card?

Regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2018 at 12:56:22 #894459

If there are no Supersaver tickets available it won’t show the % sign.

For the 11:47 departure I see 87.60 for regular fare, 43.80 with Swiss Half Fare Card and 30.80 with SuperSaver option.

Yes, the Half Fare Travelcard is the local version of the Swiss Half Fare Card (tourist card). Same discount, so you can select the Half Fare Travelcard to get the right discount.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    20 August 2018 at 13:18:10 #894460

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for checking it out for me. I realised that I couldn’t view the Supersaver option because I didn’t input my date of birth on the website when I used my MacBook. I can view it now. .

When I used the app, for some reason the Supersaver option didn’t come up and the app was a little “buggy” on my iPhone 6plus. Sometimes it showed “error”.

I will stick to using the website itself and log in with my SwissPass before buying. That way the tickets should appear on the app ad well.

Thank you so much for sorting this out for me and clearing the confusion about the % and different prices.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2018 at 16:57:37 #894461

No worries! The SBB website is geared towards residents and not super user-friendly for tourists. Bit of a learning curve for everyone for sure.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    21 August 2018 at 0:35:26 #894462

Yes indeed Lucas. It can be a little confusing at times and one needs alot of time and patience to figure things out. Thankfully you guys at this website are such a blessing.

1. I was looking at the LandQuart station map. There is around 9 mins (give or take with getting off the train) to transfer from Platform 2 to Platform 8.

Here is the map of LandQuart station.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/bahnhofplaene/plan-landquart-plakat.pdf#?lang=en

What are those pencil thin grey images with 7 “carriages” on Platform 2 at Section A & B? Does it mean the trains will arrive on Platform 2 under Section A & B and not C & D?

I am asking because it seems quite a walk to Platform 8 with luggage if we happen to alight at Sections C or D.

2. If we are travelling on a Supersaver ticket and there happens to be a delay on the arrival of the train (not our fault) and we miss the connecting train or bus, will sbb allow us on the next train or will we have to buy a new ticket for the next connecting train?

There was an instance when we were asked to get off a train due to some fault of the power or tracks, resulting in a change of trains. Thankfully we were travelling on a Standard ticket.

Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2018 at 11:21:59 #894463
    1. I don’t think that is an indication of where the train pulls in every time no. Getting from track 2 to 8 is probably a 2 minute walk so it shouldn’t be an issue wherever the train stops on the track.But yes from 2 D to track 8 will add another couple minutes to your walking time. I’d try and sit in the middle or close to the front of the train to mitigate the issue, if possible
    2. Yes, they will allow you to connect on the next train if you are delayed through no fault of your own. Let them know when showing your ticket that you couldn’t make you connection due to a train issue etc. They can always call and confirm the issue if need be.
    traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    21 August 2018 at 12:51:22 #894464

Noted with thanks Lucas.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    22 August 2018 at 9:23:41 #894465

Hi again,

1. I was trying to buy a Standard Ticket for ZURICH FLUGHAFEN to ZURICH HB on 20 Sept 2018.

The information for the ticket @ 10:43 am departure states that its 3 Zones and valid for an hour.

Does that mean this ticket is valid from 10:43 am to 11:43am and I can board any train in between this hour?

Can I board any train that’s earlier than 10:43am with the same ticket or I can only take the 10:43am train and those after 10:43am – 11:43am?

2. I would also like to book the DIRECT bus No. 2 from Sils Im Maria Posta to Pontresina Post. The information says it is valid for 2 hrs.

a. If I select 11:27 am, same question as above. Can I board the earlier bus or I can only board any bus on that route between : 1127am – 13:27am?

b. I saw the option of 1st Class and 2nd Class for this bus. I didn’t know buses had a choice of classes. Could you explain what is the difference? What is important is for us to get luggage space and a set for the 3 of us. We don’t mind the extra cost provided we know the difference.

When travelling on trains, we had issues on 2nd Class with our luggages and after the 1st trip, we are more than happy to pay the extra for 1st Class.

Thanks again.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 August 2018 at 16:16:12 #894466

Hi Traveler,

Before going into your questions, what about buying a Saver Day Pass for CHF 49? It will cover your whole trip without being tied to any specific train. The main disadvantage is that such a pass is not refundable, and you’d have to buy it today as prices go up every day and they can sell out. If you buy today as a Swiss Half Fare Card holder, you can get it for that price.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    23 August 2018 at 3:18:19 #894467

Hi Arno,

Hi Arno, thank you for your suggestion.

However, the Saver Day Pass is now Chf 82 for 1st Class on 20 Sept. Actually I already bought my Supersaver tickets for close to CHF49.50 in 1st Class yesterday for Zur HB -Sils Maria Posta so it still works out cheaper even if I added the Zur Flughafen – Zurich HB segment separately.

For the return from Pontresina to Zur HB on 7 Oct, the Saver Day Pass is Chf 49 for 1st Class. I bought my Supersaver for Chf 46.50 yesterday.

Appreciate if you can still address my questions above regarding the Zur Flughafen-Zurich HB time validity and the questions on the bus since I have already bought the tickets. Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2018 at 7:03:35 #894468

Hi Traveljet,

It looks like these shorter distance tickets are time-sensitive yes. When buying the ticket from Zurich airport to main station it is through ZVV and they note a time and validity period.

Longer trips, between cities etc, are valid all day (it notes that on the timetable). So even when selecting a time, the validity shows just the date.

As long as you arrive at Zurich HB within the 1 hour validity (its about a 10-12 minute trip) you would be fine.

I can’t imagine a scenario where you can’t board an earlier bus than what is on your ticket. That shouldn’t be a problem.

As for 1st class – they don’t exist on buses. I believe the option is there because they are selling you a 4 zone Engadin mobil ticket which would be valid on different types of transport in the region for 4 zones – ie a train with 1st class.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    24 August 2018 at 5:55:01 #894469

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for clarifying there is no 1st Class on the buses.

Can you confirm once again just to make sure I book the right tickets:

1. If I select the online 10:43am train ticket from Zurich Flughafen – Zurich HB which has 1hr travel time restriction (I don’t wish to buy at the station)

a. I can only board the 10:43am or any train AFTER 10:43am. I also have to arrive Zurich HB by 11:43am since the validity is 1 hr – correct?

So I cannot board an earlier train if my online ticket is a 10:43am ticket? Since the online ticket is already validated for the time I chose, I am assuming I cannot take any train before 10:43am.

2. The direct bus from Sils Im Maria to Pontresina Post has a validity of 2 hrs. The journey is 39 mins. So same principle:

If I book the 11:27am bus, I can board the 11:27am and the other buses AFTER 11:27 am. I must arrive Pontresina Post by 13:27am.

Hence, I cannot board the 10:27am if I buy the 11:27am bus.

Appreciate the clarification based on the specific times given above. So I have to be sure to decide the 1hr time frame which is comfortable for me.

Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 6:39:55 #894470

Hi traveljet,

On the ZVV website it states: “Zones and validity times are printed on all tickets. For as long as your ticket is valid, you can travel as often as you wish on all types on transport on your selected route / #of zones”.

So technically, it is only valid for 1 hour for the departure time you select. If you arrive earlier and want to board an earlier train, I would reconfirm with a staff member when there (I’d guess it would be fine as the fare is the same no matter the departure time).

I’d approach the bus ticket the same way. If arriving earlier check with a staff member at a local office or you can confirm with the driver – I’d guess the driver has no issues with it either.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    24 August 2018 at 10:38:52 #894471

Ok Lucas. Let me see how it goes and when I get back I can share any experience about this, if needed. To play it safe, I will ensure that 1hr validity will be at the time frame I am most comfortable with, to ensure I dont miss the connections at Zurich HB or the Bus to Pontresina.

Thanks again for your help and Arno’s. It would be great if other countries in Europe had the great level of assistance this website offers through all of you.

Have a great weekend.

Warm regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 11:56:17 #894472

sounds good – looking forward to a trip report and how everything worked out for you!

• The thread ‘Point to point train tickets Zurich to Sils Maria’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.