Pre-booking of trains with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 4:15:21 #819422

Hello,

While i have the got response on the itinerary from 08-Feb-19 to 17-Feb-19. But i have few questions related to the train booking

I have purchased 10 consecutive days swiss family (2 adults and 1 kid) pass and have the following questions

1. 10 consecutive days means that i need to travel each day via train to keep the pass active or the pass is active from 08-Feb-19 to 17-Feb-19 even if i dont travel?
    2. At the time of pass purchase i read a fine print that i need to pre-book glaciar express and Panaroma Express well before time to get the seat. Is it true? if yes then how soon i should book?
    3. Does my pass covers all trains and tram travel?
    4. I will travel to Interlaken, lucerne, Zermatt, titlis and Jungfraujoch. so i need to book train or cable car prior to the day of visit? or i can get the tickets easity on same day?

Thanks

Rnjan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 January 2019 at 4:51:48 #901802

Hello Ranjan,

Do you mean you have 2 Swiss Travel Passes and a Swiss Family Card? How did you get a 10-day consecutive pass? Did you buy an 8-day pass with a bonus 2 days perhaps?

1. The pass remains active from the start date for the number of consecutive days that it covers. Doesn’t matter if yo travel or not. The more you travel the more you “save”.

2. Yes you must have a reservation on the Glacier Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress). You can purchase reservations here. I’m not sure what you mean by the Panorama Express. If you mean the Gotthard Panorama Express then it doesn’t operate in winter. NB if your only travel on the Glacier Express Route is between Brig or Visp and Zermatt then just take a regular train. It makes no sense to pay reservations for such a short leg. Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page. The Glacier Express will appear as PE in the timetable.

3. Yes – providing what you purchased is as I described in my opening paragraph. Just hop on and go.

4. You don’t need any bookings for travel except as mentioned in you Q2.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 5:02:55 #901803

Thanks for the quick response.

1. You are right.I got 8+2 days pass in a promotion deal from Raileurope.co.in (Indian site) and i have 1 travel pass with family card (It was free, i jusy checked in the option)
    2. I will reserve glacier express right away but i hope i can chage it afterwards? considering erracitc weather in winters
    3. You are right. I was referring to Gotthard Panorama Express. if it is closed then will i miss travelling to any of the destination mentioned (Zermatt, Titlis, Jungfraujoch, matterhorn)?
    4. I just read in the forum that there is a promotion of Swiss coupon (49 CHF) and jungfraujoch promotion, am i eligible for the promotion as i have already purchased the pass? if yes then how many coupons (we are 3) should i buy? and is it worth purchasing?
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 January 2019 at 5:13:39 #901804

1. You need 1 Swiss Travel Pass for EACH adult. The Swiss Family Card (for your child is free for anyone buying a Swiss Travel Pass.

2. Once you pay for a reservation you can’t change it (at least not without losing something in the process).

3. None of the places you mention are on the Gotthard Panorama Express route. Perhaps you might list out your current itinerary and the route you plan to follow (just so we know we are all on the right track, so to speak).

4. Sorry, I’m not familiar with that deal.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 5:36:59 #901805
    1. My bad..i have 2 passses for adult and family card.
    2. In that case should i reserve it in 11-feb-19 (in cases weather plays a spoilsport)? as i am planning to travel via glacier express on 12-Feb-19
    3. My current itinerary starting 08-Feb-19 late evening is as follows: i have made 2 base – Zurich and Interlaken
    • Day -1 and 2: Zurich
    • Day -3: Zurich to Mt titlis and Return
    • Day -4: Interlaken
    • Day – 5: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch and return
    • Day – 6:Interlaken to Zermatt, take Matterhorn glacier paradise and Gornergrat (If time permits) and come back to Interlaken
    • Day -7 to 9 i have not yet finalised it could be lucerne to st moritz or lugano, you may suggest some other place
    • Day – 10 – Zurich to catch the flight
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 January 2019 at 5:53:11 #901806

1. Phew! 😎

2. If you are only travelling from Interlaken to Zermatt and back then you don’t want to waste money travelling on the Glacier Express. Like I said earlier just take a regular train to get to Zermatt then you don’t need to pay for reservations. Use the timetable link I provided above to check trains.

3. If you are thinking of St Moritz then most tourists I think would go from Interlaken to Zermatt and overnight there then take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz. In that case you would need reservations for the full journey.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 6:02:30 #901807

Thank you so much..will refer the same

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 January 2019 at 6:11:33 #901808

Your welcome Ranjan,

If you do continue as planned with a day trip to Zermatt from Interlaken. Consider at least in one direction between Spiez and Zermatt going via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The (one hour) faster more direct route between Spiez and Visp incorporates the lengthy (6th longest in the world) Lötschberger Base Tunnel. So not as much scenery to enjoy that way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 8:14:55 #901809

I will do it for sure 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 8:33:07 #901810

Hi Ranjan,

I think you are refering to his promotion: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/free-reservations-to-jungfraujoch-more-discounts – but if you’ve already bought your Swiss Travel Pass with another promotion (yours seems a better value).

To see what routes are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (and which mountains are covered fully or just partially) look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

I agree about overnight in Zermatt and then continue on the Glacier Express a day or two later to St. Moritz. If you keep Zermatt as a day trip I’d consider Lugano from Lucerne – nice time of year to visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 8:39:00 #901811

You are right Lucas, i was referring to same offer. However, will not buy it now and basis your suggestion i will review my last 2 itinerary and take a call

• The thread ‘Pre-booking of trains with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.