Purchase Glacier Express tickets problem

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 9:54:11 #809970

Hi Team

I am seeking some guidance. I reserved our seats successfully for GEX travelling 21 Sept from St Moritz to Zermatt on the 903. That was back on 1 July!! I have now gone to purchase the tickets and I can not get option for 903 on 19th for tickets.

On sbb.ch ticket shop it does not give a fare/buy option for GEX only standard trains. On glacierexpress.ch buy tickets, it advises the train is full and only offers 905 on Thursday 22 Sept. I have sent an email to glacierexpress.ch using their “contact us” facility from website asking question but not received a response yet.

Are you able to clarify how I purchase the rail tickets?

We have (print at home) Swiss Half Fare Cards. I have been able to purchase our other train tickets from sbb.ch easily – and because we have planned schedule I have purchased smartsaver fares from Zurich to St Moritz and Zermatt to Geneva and received great savings. We are then in Lauterbrunnen for 3 days but will wait to see what the weather brings and use our half fare cards as we decide what we do each day. (We pick up a rental in Geneva as we are then doing self-drive Austria, Italy and back to Geneva)

I have very much appreciated all the advice and ideas everyone contributes, especially Arno, Annika and member Slowpoke :-))

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 August 2016 at 15:21:37 #855460

Hi KiwiStu,

Welcome to MySwissAlps, I’m glad to hear you appreciate our website! I wouldn’t worry about the tickets. You already have your Swiss Half Fare Card and seat reservations. You don’t need anything else at this point. Just buy your (discounted) ticket when you are in Switzerland, at any staffed station. Tickets do not sell out. You probably save a few francs by buying a day card for the Swiss Half Fare Card, instead of regular point to point tickets, but the staff will be able to sort that out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 18:40:15 #855461

Arno appreciate the clarification, Glacier Express also confirmed the same. Was just weird that I was able to purchase our other tickets (smartsavers) no problem. But as you say – we can just get them when we there. Counting down 🙂 All good, keep up the good work you guys.

• The thread ‘Purchase Glacier Express tickets problem’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.