purchasing a supersaver ticket credit card issue

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 22:37:03 #811605

Hi, I am trying to purchase a supersaver ticket from Basel to Luzern, but the SBB site fails to accept my credit card (tried several times, with 2 different cards from different countries). As I found this a known problem, and I will have no chance to do this online, I wonder if I will be able to buy them in a SBB office when I arrive in Switzerland. Are they available there? and are they offered closer to the travel dates or only well before?

Thanks

Yoav

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 3:53:41 #862474

>> Hi, I am trying to purchase a supersaver ticket from Basel to Luzern, but the SBB site fails to accept my credit card (tried several times, with 2 different cards from different countries).

I take it you have an account with the SBB Ticket Shop, in which your credit card details are saved?

What type of credit card is it? (E.g. Visa, MasterCard etc)

>> As I found this a known problem, and I will have no chance to do this online, I wonder if I will be able to buy them in a SBB office when I arrive in Switzerland. Are they available there?

No, they are only offered online and through the SBB Mobile app.

>> and are they offered closer to the travel dates or only well before?

They become available 30 days before the travel date. Numbers are limited, so how long they last depends on demand.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 4:29:34 #862475

I take it you have an account with the SBB Ticket Shop, in which your credit card details are saved?

no. I tried to pay directly. But several threads in Tripadvisor forums show they have a problem with non-swiss credit cards, and it doesn’t help if you create a login.

I tried both with an international Visa card issued in Israel, and with an American Visa debit card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 4:36:55 #862476

SBB accept prepaid MasterCards. Could you get one of those and load it with sufficíent funds for your purchase?

The problem with using VISA might be the verifying process, which doesn’t always work.

I have had no problems using an Australian MasterCard.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 April 2017 at 22:40:26 #862477

Hi yoavs,

You could try contacting SBB via http://www.dml.sbb.ch/content /sbb/en/desktop/meta/k ontakt.accitm.reisenin landgruppen1.html to see if they can resolve your problem. I have found them quite responsive.

Rocky

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 4:44:08 #862478

Thanks!

• The thread ‘purchasing a supersaver ticket credit card issue’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.