Quality Zurich restaurants open Sunday

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2017 at 2:43:56 #812792

My wife and I recently returned from a superb 2 week hiking tour of the Engadine and Bernese Oberland areas, and do need to thank SlowPoke for recommending The Conti as a restaurant in Zurich for our 40th anniversary dinner. Excellent food, superb service and no problem getting a good seat on a Sunday evening. Thanks again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 August 2017 at 1:00:43 #867652

Hi Nevertoolate-

<<“My wife and I recently returned from a superb 2 week hiking tour of the Engadine and Bernese Oberland areas, and do need to thank SlowPoke for recommending The Conti as a restaurant in Zurich for our 40th anniversary dinner. Excellent food, superb service and no problem getting a good seat on a Sunday evening. Thanks again.”>>

Glad that it matched your needs.

I was wondering a bit if you were going to give us a report!

What did you do in the Engadine?

Thanks,

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2017 at 1:52:24 #867653

Well, I’m glad you asked. We spent the first week in Guarda (Lower Engadine) and in Pontresina (Upper Engadine). Guarda is truly a special place and our hotel there– Romantica Tuoi (Tuoi means hut in Romansch)– was superb. The penthouse suite is worth every cent and offers memorable mountain views from the bed and the balcony. Guarda is a tiny village, up about 700 feet above the Inn valley floor and the main road and feels like it is cut off in time, as indeed it was when the road was relocated 200 years or so ago to bypass the town. As between Guarda and Scuol (where we also spent some time hiking), we definitely preferred Guarda– smaller and more intimate. Great hiking in all directions from the village, and if you run out of trails, it is easy to take the train a couple stops in either direction and find more. It is, however, much steeper terrain than we expected and so our plan on using Guarda to get in shape for the balance of the trip was perhaps not well-conceived.

Pontresina was also terrific, although the weather was variable and prevented us from getting as high as we wanted (snow above 2300 m). No peak bagging.

We then went on to Mürren (after 7 train transfers in 6 hours). Top recommendations for the Hotel Bellevue, which has views of the Jungfrau/Monch/Eiger that can’t be beat. They also accommodated our gluten free diet needs wonderfully– absolutely the best fresh-baked GF bread we’ve had anywhere. Mürren is to Wengen as Guarda is to Scuol, and so we were again glad to have picked the smaller locale of both pairings. Lots of great hikes and easy to get down to Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and on toward Grindelwald for day excursions, but then able to retreat back to the quiet of Mürren in the evening.

Can offer hiking recommendations, but I’m starting to feel like the guy 30 years ago who used to make dinner guests sit through the slide show of their vacation after dinner, so I won’t. Just read Kev Reynolds’ books and you’ll have it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2017 at 6:32:33 #867654

Hi Nevertoolate!

Thanks for writing up your report but can I ask that you post it to the trip report forum here?
    Other members would love to be able to find it and read it!

And please do include your hiking recommendations – if you have the time of course! I’m sure everyone will appreciate any thoughts/tips you have!

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 August 2017 at 12:00:47 #867655

Hi nevertoolate:

<<“Well, I’m glad you asked. We spent the first week in Guarda (Lower Engadine) and in Pontresina (Upper Engadine). Guarda is truly a special place and our hotel there– Romantica Tuoi (Tuoi means hut in Romansch)– was superb.”>>

After a few years in Ftan, we settled on the Piz Buin in Guarda. Stayed there many times when the Rüblis ran it. Have not been back since it changed hands a few years ago. Have often looked at the Tuoi as we walked past it. Good to learn about it and I believe you about the views.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Quality Zurich restaurants open Sunday’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.