How to have an inexpensive vacation in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2015 at 9:22:22 #807278

Hi

I would like to ask about the best way to have an enjoyable, and also inexpensive 10 day vacation in Switzerland. the budget is a bit tight, and its our first time, so we’re worried about not being able to see everything that should be seen because we have no experience. is it best to join a guided tour? or are they too expensive? are there tricks to having an inexpensive vacation there? knowing that I’m a single mom with 2 teenagers. so its just me planning. so I think I need a lot of guidance..

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot

Maryam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 May 2015 at 11:10:09 #843320

Hi Maryam,

Thanks for your post! A guided tour is usually more expensive than organizing your own trip. Doing it yourself is perfectly fine in Switzerland, and the way it’s done by the majority of visitors. The below pages will get you started:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2015 at 18:41:46 #843321

Thanks Arno!

I guess the real question is: is it recommended that we go to Switzerland on a tight budget? or is it just a bad choice?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    23 May 2015 at 19:39:59 #843322

Hi Maryam,

It is always a good idea to spend time in Switzerland, even on a tight budget, because it’s a beautiful country with many possibilities. Do you want to hike? No problem, no costs (depending on where you are staying). Do you want to see as many as possible? Then make a choice. The tip Arno gave (http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/s avemoney) is a very good one. You don’t have to stay in pricey hotels. There are camping places and you can spend nights in huts (unfortunately, I don’t have any exeperience on that). Buy or cook cheap meals, it’s all possible.

If you want to see as much as possible of Switzerland, you can save money by looking at a http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass. It’s always worth the money, I can assure you, but of course I can’t look into your budget. It’s a question of what do you want and can you spend.

Do you have plans for what you would like to do or see? In that case, please feel welcome to put all of your questions. The moderators here are experts, and there are more experienced people here who have travel experciences on a tight budget.

You’ll be sorry if you won’t go. Again, feel free to ask more questions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 20:49:41 #843323

<<“There are camping places and you can spend nights in huts (unfortunately, I don’t have any exeperience on that). “>>

Hi Olga –

Don’t forget hostels.

They are generally very nice in Switzerland.

Implied in your comments is one of the more important concepts – don’t stay in hotels in big cities.

With a little work you can almost always find less expensive inns or bed and breakfasts in a village on a train line within 30-45 minutes travel time to the cities.

Asou have pointed out, If you use the trains without some kind of reduced fare pass or card, you are costing yourself a lot of money that you do not need to.

However, although it is usually the case that an “all fares paid” Swiss Rail Pass is a good deal, it would not be for someone who picked one area and did not use the trains a lot. As Arno pointed out, Maryam should figure out what it is about Switzerland that appeals, then think about a travel plan, then look at costs of various fare reduction schemes.

The term”tight budget” cannot be put into perspectyive vs. costs in Switzerland until we get to specifics.

To pick one example – if one is interested in Bern, there are places in the Three Lakes region that have good train access and are relatively low cost. The Emmental has a wide range of inns with a wide range of costs, and access to Bern , and maybe Luzern, is feasible.

I would ask Maryam –

“Do you have any ideas at all of what you hope to see or do if you vist Switzerland?”

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 20:55:32 #843324

<<“I guess the real question is: is it recommended that we go to Switzerland on a tight budget? or is it just a bad choice?”>>

If your budget is 10 CHF per day for 3 people, I’d recommend that you reconsider 😉

Seriously, who knows what a tight budget is until you compile some expenses and compare to your funds.

There are many good ways, some mentioned above, to visit Switzerland without spending the kind of money that the high priced luxury hotels and restaurants charge. What they offer is worth it for many people, but Switzerland also likes to help people visit on a far from luxury budget.

Tell us what you think you want to do, after you have arrived.

That will start a conversation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2015 at 15:43:15 #843325

Ok. I would say i’m easily satisfied, just seeing beautiful scenery and some hiking, visiting farms and having fresh milk and cheese and of course a trip to the highest peek in Europe is mainly what I’m aiming for.

My budget would be around 2500$ for 10 days. 3 persons. Is that unreasonable? Please tell me if it is. I dont mind staying in huts, cheap hotels, etc. we’re easy to please. Just wanna have fun. And we dont care for fancy restaurants either.

Thanks so much for your support

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 May 2015 at 17:23:08 #843326

<<“My budget would be around 2500$ for 10 days. 3 persons. Is that unreasonable? Please tell me if it is. I dont mind staying in huts, cheap hotels, etc. we’re easy to please. Just wanna have fun. And we don’t care for fancy restaurants either.”>>

Sounds tight enough that it won’t be easy, but probably not impossible. You’ll need to do some hard work ahead of time.

We tend to spend more than that , but we eat well and stay at not the cheapest accommodations.

For the farms and country ambiance, one region to consider is the Emmental. It is not usual tourist destination, and it is not in the Alps. It has reasonable train access to Luzern and Bern, but is very much farming country. It rewards walking. Not often suggested for first timers.

I did a whole thread on parts of the Emmental oriented toward hiking near Langnau for “Johnny”. Not all matched to you, but it might give you some idea of what that area is like.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/langnau-in- may

In it are lists of inns including inexpensive places catering to hikers. Look at the one near Mettlenalp to see what I mean. However, it is really out in the boonies.

In many regions, inexpensive hotels have dormitory accomodations – called “Anlager” or “Matratzanlager.”

The kids are probably too old for a free ride along with your travel pass, if you get one. They probably need their own pass/ reduced fare card, etc.

And, the trip to Jungfraujoch is a budget buster. That is one expensive train ride.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

I have visited that region about 10 times over the last 30 years, totaling about 30 or 40 days and have never gone up to the Jungfrau. I’ve been happy to look at it from a nearby trail. You are still pretty high up. 😉 However, most people do think it is worth the money, if you wish to spend it.

I’ll add a couple of pictures a bit later.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2015 at 18:24:01 #843327

Hi slowpoke!

i really appreciate your time and effort in replying to me. If anyone else has something to say about my budget, i’d love to hear your thoughts, whether you think it’s unreasonable, or doable, etc…

thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2015 at 21:36:26 #843328

If I was you, I would rent a flat in Saas Fee, Saas Grund or Saas Almagell.

You could buy food in the supermarkets which will save you a lot of money.

In that area all cableways and postbuses are included in the price during the summer months.

It is a very beautiful area surrounded by several mountains of over 4000 m.

You may find a lot of information on this website : http://www.saas-fee.ch

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2015 at 7:40:41 #843329

I also think your budget is doable if you plan carefully. Staying in one location like suggested by Walter helps a lot in reducing traveling expenses. Especially if you pick a town that offers free local cable car rides when booking an accommodation there, like the Citizens Passport in Saas-Fee (myswissalps.com/ saasfee/hotels) and the ‘Mountain Railways Included’ offer in St. Moritz (myswissalps.com/ stmoritz/hotels).

Both towns are pretty expensive, but if you book one of the cheaper accommodations and only do the free traveling, it’s an opportunity to see the best of Switzerland. The Youth Hostel and Casa Franco in St. Moritz are worth looking into. The Popcorn Hotel is a suggestion for Saas-Fee.

Assuming you’ll arrive in Zurich airport, the Swiss Transfer Ticket is the cheaper option to travel to either of these towns, and back. If your children are 15 or younger they’ll travel along for free.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 May 2015 at 11:18:53 #843330

<<“I also think your budget is doable if you plan carefully. Staying in one location like suggested by Walter helps a lot in reducing traveling expenses. Especially if you pick a town that offers free local cable car rides when booking an accommodation there, like the Citizens Passport in Saas-Fee (myswissalps.com/ saasfee/hotels) and the ‘Mountain Railways Included’ offer in St. Moritz (myswissalps.com/ stmoritz/hotels).”>>

The free cable cars could save a lot of money. They are one of the little things that add up at the end of the day.

Are you aware of any place near Luzern that could offer a similar combination of low cost accomodation and cheap or discounted or free cable cars? Maybe a town near the Rigi or around the lake somewhere?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 May 2015 at 18:07:49 #843331

Look at this for lodging:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ho stels​

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2015 at 18:09:30 #843332

Thanks a million to all of you! You’re life savers! I’m studying these little towns right now:)

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 May 2015 at 9:03:50 #843333

@Slowpoke: yes, there’s a similar offer for Lucerne, but only for Winter. I assume it will be available again next Winter. Please see myswissalps.com/lucerne/hotels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 18:26:22 #843334

Hi

I found reasonably priced houses on this site, and sent emails to their owners, but none of them replied. does anyone know why? since I can’t make a booking online, it must be done by email.

thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2015 at 18:34:03 #843335

on which site?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 20:51:27 #843336

Never mind.

i assume these three towns (Saas-fee, Saas-Grund & Saas-Almagell) offer free transportation? Do you recommend one of them in specific? I found hotels with good prices and i will stay in one place just to hike and relax. But wanted to see your opinions on which one of the three is best. Thanks a million:)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2015 at 21:23:59 #843337

I personally don’t know any of those towns., so we’ll have to wait for an opinion from the moderators or other knowledgeable forum members.

Your hotel can tell you about transportation costs, 0r the web site for the town(s) may have that information.

You probably have figured out that many hotels especially in resort areas offer a combination price ( full pension, full board – all meals, or else half pension – dinner) in addition to the normally included breakfast. That can be a good deal. Worth checking.

Also, most restaurants in Switzerland have a low price special each day. They call it a “menu.”

If you stay in a hotel, you need to watch meal costs. In an apartment, you can eat from the supermarket.

Bakeries make sandwiches.

Sounds like you are making progress. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 21:25:49 #843338

You are right : these three towns offer free transportation.I would recommend Saas Fee because there are more possibilities for hiking and most of the cable cars are there. Also you have a beautyful view on the mountains there.

Normally it is possible to book some of the appartments immediately online.(“sofort buchbar” is mentioned)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 21:32:47 #843339

Sorry, I see now that you want to stay in a hotel.

Saas Fee remains the best choice (in my opinion) but will be more expensive than Saas Grund or Saas Fee.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • The thread ‘How to have an inexpensive vacation in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.