Rail Eur Swiss Half Fare Card valid on SBB ticket?

• anugummaraju
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 December 2015 at 5:14:57 #808191

Hi,

I just bought two Swiss Half Fare Cards online, from Rail Europe India. I also requested two Family cards, for our two kids aged 7 and 13.

My questions are:

Are these valid to buy train tickets on SBB? That is, is this card valid if I buy train tickets online on the SBB website or at the stations in Zurich / Murren / Lucerne? Or are they restricted to buying tickets only on the Rail Europe network?

With these family cards from Rail Europe, I don’t need to buy tickets for the kids. Is this correct?

We are traveling Zurich to Murren (via Lauterbrunnen), Murren to Lucerne, and Lucerne back to Zurich.

I will appreciate any help on this. The Rail Europe Live Chat rep was not very helpful.

Thank you,

Anu

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 December 2015 at 10:33:04 #847256

Hi Anu,

No worries, any of the retailers listed here, including Rail Europe India, sell the same Swiss Half Fare Card. The card offers discounts on all routes on this map. It does not matter whether the SBB or another company operates the trains on a particular route. The SBB does not service Mürren, for example, but that’s not relevant. You’ll get a discount for whichever company you need to reach your destination. Rail Europe does not have a network. They sell tickets and passes, but they don’t own trains or tracks.

Indeed you don’t need tickets for the kids.

Here’s some additional information:

anugummaraju
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 December 2015 at 13:04:32 #847257

Thank you very much for responding, Arno.

Sounds good, we’ll buy the tickets at the station in Zurich. I see that I can purchase one ticket from Zurich to Murren, but will have to change a couple of trains, and rail providers, along the way.

Thanks again 🙂

Anu

• The thread ‘Rail Eur Swiss Half Fare Card valid on SBB ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.