Rain for a month in Switzerland, is this possible?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 12:50:30 #815719

I am going to Switzerland on May 22 until June 4. I will have 4 nights staying in Thun,1 in Murren and 3 in Grindelwald. Then 3 nights in Locarno and then 1 in Zug.

I am looking at the weather forecast, and it seems like every single place I am going to go to is having some kind of absurd monsoon season. Is this true and how is this possible?! Plus snow and ice in Grindelwald. But every single day – for over a month when I look at the long term forecasts – is RAIN. Not even partly sunny and rain, but just RAIN. If it is cloudy and rainy then we will see no views. We wanted to do lots of hiking and look at the mountains and feel the sunshine.

First of all, does anyone know about this crazy rain situation? I’m trying to find news about it – I know if America was having rain for a month it would be in the news. Or are online weather websites completely unreliable for the Alps? Or is this normal? I’m just really baffled and honestly quite upset. 🙁

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 May 2018 at 14:38:20 #884140

Hi Jalessaga,

No need to worry! Forecasts more than 2-3 days ahead of time are close to random. There is no way a forecast for May 22 is reliable on May 5. Here’s an example: the forecast for today was overcast with a tiny bit of sun if lucky. In reality the entire morning was sunny with a blue clear sky. Clouds came from 12 pm or so and by 2:30 pm the predicted overcast was finally there. By then we had already completed our day trip.

The weather changes really quickly in the Alps. Be sure to check a reliable weather site, and only do so a few days in advance and recheck the prior evening. And even then there are no guarantees 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

• The thread ‘Rain for a month in Switzerland, is this possible?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.