Re visit to zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2011 at 14:32:40 #804252

I am staying in interlaken from 17th june to 1st july..and have a bernese oberland pass with 5 days free travel for both myself and my wife..
    what is the best way to utilise this for a trip to zermatt,please ?and what is the best time of day to travel,as to be back in interlaken for about 8pm the same day ?
    fisherman rob
    also anyone in interlaken those 2 weeks that wishes to get in touch before..please do,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 May 2011 at 14:33:10 #832679

Hi fisherman rob!

I would recommend to use a free travel day for your trip to Zermatt. The leg Interlaken – Goppenstein would be free, and the leg Goppenstein – Brig would be discounted by 50%. Brig – Zermatt is not discounted. The page about the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland contains a link to a map showing this information. The service desk at the Interlaken rail station will be able to sell you a ticket taking these discounts into account. This is the “old” route by the way, which is more scenic than the new tunnel. I would recommend to travel via the old route at least once.

As for the time to travel: I would prefer to leave as early as possible, as the weather and the views in the high mountains are usually best earlier in the day. You can best consult the timetable for details, and check the weather forecast the day before.

• The thread ‘Re visit to zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.