Recommended day trips from Lucern?

Recommended day trips from Lucern?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 14, 2018 - 8:25 AM

Hello!

I am travelling to Lucerne on 24th of May and reach there by 1pm. I have to back in Milan by 26 May night. So basically I have 24th half day , 25th full day and 26th half day.

On 24th I will start around 2pm for Mount Rigi. Will I have enough time to cover it?

On 25th, I am planning to go to Matterhorn glacier. What time should I start in the morning to have enough time to cover it.

On 26th, I am thinking either to go to Rhine fall or take Gotthard panaroma express for Milan. Please suggest which option is better.

Thanks, Nid

rockoyster
rockoyster
3712 posts
expert
May 14, 2018 - 10:19 AM in reply to Removed user

Hello Nid and welcome to MySwissAlps,

24th should be fine.

25th is a long round trip to Zermatt. Use the SBB Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) just how long. If you want to go to see the Matterhorn I would stay at Zermatt that night and continue on from there to Milan via Domodossola.

26th take the Gotthard Panorama Express (www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) at least you are heading towards Milan that way. Plus it is a great trip.

Last modified on May 14, 2018 - 10:20 AM by rockoyster
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 14, 2018 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your feed back. Actually I have booked my accommodation in Lucerne So I have to return to Lucerne on 25th.(And now it’s too late to find good accommodation in Zermatt) Do you think instead of Matterhorn, I will plan Mount Titlis trip.

Do I need reservations for Gotthard panaroma express? If yes then can I do it on the same day ie on 26th May.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3712 posts
expert
May 14, 2018 - 10:51 AM in reply to Removed user

Up to you whether you want to spend a long day on a train to visit Zermatt or go instead to Titlis. I would go to Titlis.

If you want to travel on the Gotthard Panorama Express you do need reservations. I would be making reservations pronto. At this time of year you may be able to reserve on the day but maybe not. See www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ tickets or bit.ly/2rFs1AV.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 14, 2018 - 12:03 PM in reply to rockoyster

On 26th, I can early check out from Lucerne and can take 5pm train from Zurich to Milan. Is there anything else I can do on that day, instead of taking Gotthard panaroma express.

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
May 14, 2018 - 4:04 PM in reply to Removed user

What would be of your interest? Another city? Or a mountain? Or...

Have you checked our webpage on activities in Lucerne: www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities?

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 15, 2018 - 9:47 AM

I am not sure what I really want to do on 26th May in Lucerne🤔

Maybe after reaching Lucerne, I will decide on the day itself ( on 25th May)whether to go to Jungfrau, Klein Matterhorn or Mount Titlis after checking the weather. I have already bought the Swiss travel pass, can I buy the tickets required for cable car journey on the same day? Is the queue for buying tickets take lot of time.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3712 posts
expert
May 15, 2018 - 9:51 AM in reply to Removed user

The queues in May should be minimal.

Klein Matterhorn is a fair way from Lucerne. Have you checked the SBB Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to see how much time you would spend sitting in a train to get there?

Last modified on May 15, 2018 - 9:53 AM by rockoyster
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 15, 2018 - 10:31 AM

Yes, I know it takes minimum 4.5hr on each side but I really want to go either to Zermatt or interlaken. I will start my journey by 7am so I have enough time to go there and come back.

I think travelling time either to go to Jungfraujoch or Kleine Matterhorn is same.

how mush extra do I have to pay for Jungfrau or Matterhorn with a Swiss travel pass.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3712 posts
expert
May 15, 2018 - 10:50 PM in reply to Removed user

You need to become familiar with the validity map you can download from www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity to understand what discounts apply. For example you get 25% discount on the return trip from Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch. The rest of the trip is free.

Jungfraujoch price list is at bit.ly/2J5H92u.

Matterhorn prices at www.zermatt.ch/en/shop /activities.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 16, 2018 - 7:14 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks .

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 26, 2018 - 3:14 AM

Hi

Thanks Rockoyster for your advice of going to Titlis instead of Matterhorn. Yesterday I went to Mt Titlis, weather was great and had a good time as I had plenty of time to spend there and not worried about rushing back.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018