Regional Pass (Geneva-Alps) vs Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2016 at 8:59:01 #810131

Hello,

My family and I (2 adults and 4 children age 17, 15, 12 and 10) will be travelling from Gevena airport to Chateau-d’Oex on 23/12/2016 and leaving on 1/1/2017. We intend to buy Swiss Travel Pass – 2nd class (and Family Card) but chanced upon the broucher on Regional Pass – lake Geneva-Alps; and now wondering which is the “best” pass suitable for us.

Itinerary is as follows:

• 23 December – Arriving in Geneva airport. Take train to Chateau-d’Oex (where we will be based until we leave on 1 January 2017). Taking train to Montrexu (to visit Christmas market in Montreux) after leaving luggage in apartment. Taking train back to Chateau-d’Oex in the night.
    • 24 December – Ski at La Braye & region, depending on ski instuctor. Train to Montreux/Veyvey in the afternoon and back to Chateau-d’Oex.
    • 25 December – Ski at La Braye & region, depending on ski-instructor. Train to Montreux/Veyvey in afternoon and back to Chateau-d’Oex.
    • 26 December – Chateau–d’Oex – Broc & Gruyere – Chateau-d’Oex (Not taking the chocolate train / Visiting Maison Caliller at Broc)
    • 27 December – Morning – Ski at La Braye. Afternoon – Chateau–d’Oex – Montreux (visiting Chillon Castle) – Chateau-d’Oex
    • 28 December – Chateau–d’Oex – Montreux and Veyvey (visiting Alimentarium & Chaplin’s Museum) – Chateau-d’Oex
    • 29 December – Morning – Ski at La Braye. Afternoon – Chateau–d’Oex – Rochers–De–Naye – Chateau–d’Oex
    • 30 December – Chateau–d’Oex – Glacier 3000 – Chateau–d’Oex
    • 31 December – Ski at La Braye & region, depending on ski instructor. May also take train to Gstaad.
    • 1 January – Take train from Chateau-d’Oex to Geneva airport (one way)

Question: Based on our itinerary, my initial thought is it might be more economical to get Regional Pass (7 days) but now unsure which is more economical for us, based on our itinerary (skiing at sight-seeing). There is a promotion for Geneva-Alps Regional Pass now (3 full + 4 days’ reduction) .

Appreciate your advice on this. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 September 2016 at 15:03:58 #856092

Hi Celia,

The Swiss Travel Pass does not cover the La Braye lift, but you may not need that as I assume you’ll buy a ski pass that includes it. It does include the Alimentarium. The Regional Pass Lake Geneva – Alps does not include the Alimentarium and gets you a discount to La Braye.

Both passes are somewhat problematic for the 10 days you spend there: the Swiss Travel Pass is available for 8 or 15 days. The 15 day pass would still be worth it as a regular ticket from the airport to Château-d’Oex and back costs more then the price difference between an 8- and 15-day pass.

The Regional Pass Lake Geneva – Alps only comes as a 5 or 7 day pass with only 2 or 3 days of free traveling. I’m afraid that’s too limited because you intend to travel every day. I am not aware of a promotion by the way.

The Swiss Travel Pass will definitely be more convenient. And you can print it at home, so no shipping costs or waiting for a ticket office to buy it. Price wise, you will have to do the math to be sure.

Further details are here (maps, where to buy, how it works):

• The thread ‘Regional Pass (Geneva-Alps) vs Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.