Regional pass vs Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2011 at 6:45:24 #804514

My hisband and I will be travelling in Switzerland for four days in the Bernese Oberland area,in Sept., staying with a family in Scharnachtal.We would like to visit Lucerne, Grindlewald, Bern and do one of the gondolas up one of the mountains (any advise on which one to do?). We will be flying into Geneva and leaving Switzerland by train to travel to Nurtingen, Germany. So my question is would it be better for us to buy the two for one regional pass and pay for the individual train rides from Geneva to Scharnachtal and from Scharnachtal to Nurtingen or should we buy a Swiss Saver Pass to cover it all.
    Thank you in advance.
    DJ

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 July 2011 at 15:22:17 #833582

Hi DJ,

Prices vary a bit depending on your country of residence, but from what I can tell based on your itinerary I would say that the 2-for-1 offer of Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would be your best deal. If you travel from Geneva to Scharnachtal via Montreux and Gstaad (Golden Pass route), the pass will give you a discount for a large portion of the trip. The trip to Lucerne is discounted as well.

The regional pass would provide the opportunity to use a free travel day for gondola rides so that you don’t have to limit yourself to one ride. I would certainly go up the Niesen, since it’s so close to Scharnachtal and offers a 360 degree view around the region. It’s a funicular though, not a gondola. Rather spectacular gondolas are from Stechelberg up to the Schilthorn and Allmenalp near Kandersteg.

Please check the pass page for details such as which gondolas/trains are free or discounted.

• The thread ‘Regional pass vs Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.