About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Renting a car from Zermatt to explore Lake Geneva
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Renting a car from Zermatt to explore Lake Geneva

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Brnyrdsue
Brnyrdsue
5 posts
Jun 9, 2022 - 10:04 AM

Our group of 3 will have 3 nights in Wengen area and 3 nights in Zermatt. We’re thinking of renting a car for a day while we’re in Zermattto drive to Gruyère, the chocolate factory near Lake Geneva and just around as we like. We’re taking public transit for the rest of the trip and thought it would be fun to just poke around for a day. Maybe explore Lake Geneva. Where would I rent a car from and how would I get to where I’d pick it up and drop it off? We’re in California and I know how to get an international drivers license. Do I need anything else?

Ildiko
Ildiko
2128 posts
top member &
Jun 9, 2022 - 6:20 PM in reply to Brnyrdsue

Hi Brnyrdsue,

I do not really recommend the car as there can be traffic jams on the route to Zermatt and it is quite annoying. Can't you stay maybe one night in Montreux or closer to Gruyeres?

At www.myswissalps.com/car/carrental you'll learn about how to choose the best car rental and also some other practical info.

Regarding the international driving license, it is better to ask your chosen car rental company. What kind of paper do they need.

More practical tips about driving in Switzerland: www.myswissalps.com/car

I believe that your post has been duplicated twice by coincidence. I deleted the other one as according to the forum rules it is not allowed to have duplicated posts.

Ildiko

Learn more:

1960man
1960man
3787 posts
expert
Jun 9, 2022 - 11:23 PM in reply to Brnyrdsue

Since Zermatt does not allow cars (except for residents) and the village is 'car free' renting a car at Zermatt is pointless as it is at the end of a long valley. You can get to all the places you mention by train from Zermatt. If you wanted to rent a car for a day it would be better to do that from your other bases which are closer to the main road network.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022