Renting a car from Zermatt to explore Lake Geneva

• Brnyrdsue
    Participant
    9 posts
    9 June 2022 at 10:04:21 #827457

Our group of 3 will have 3 nights in Wengen area and 3 nights in Zermatt. We’re thinking of renting a car for a day while we’re in Zermattto drive to Gruyère, the chocolate factory near Lake Geneva and just around as we like. We’re taking public transit for the rest of the trip and thought it would be fun to just poke around for a day. Maybe explore Lake Geneva. Where would I rent a car from and how would I get to where I’d pick it up and drop it off? We’re in California and I know how to get an international drivers license. Do I need anything else?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2022 at 18:20:49 #943052

Hi Brnyrdsue,

I do not really recommend the car as there can be traffic jams on the route to Zermatt and it is quite annoying. Can’t you stay maybe one night in Montreux or closer to Gruyeres?

At http://www.myswissalps.com/car/carrental you’ll learn about how to choose the best car rental and also some other practical info.

Regarding the international driving license, it is better to ask your chosen car rental company. What kind of paper do they need.

More practical tips about driving in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/car

I believe that your post has been duplicated twice by coincidence. I deleted the other one as according to the forum rules it is not allowed to have duplicated posts.

Ildiko

Learn more:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2022 at 23:23:26 #943053

Since Zermatt does not allow cars (except for residents) and the village is ‘car free’ renting a car at Zermatt is pointless as it is at the end of a long valley. You can get to all the places you mention by train from Zermatt. If you wanted to rent a car for a day it would be better to do that from your other bases which are closer to the main road network.

• The thread ‘Renting a car from Zermatt to explore Lake Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.