Suggestions on how to use Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2016 at 10:59:35 #810041

Hello,

travelling to Switzerland next week with my family for short vacation from Saudi Arabia.

already I have purchased 8 Days Swiss Travel Pass in First Class for myself and for my wife. and I believe it is free of cost for kids, as I have 2 kids under age 5.

through my travel agent, I have already collected following below passes,

PASS 1- Swiss Travel Pass for 8 Days in First Class with Swiss Travel System Family Card.

1. please advise, how to use this family card..?? do we need to show this at station office before we board to any train.??

2. Though my travel passes are already validated, do I need to show them to any station master before I board the train.

3. can we board a train without a seat reservation…??

4. we are planning to go Zermatt via Visp from Zurich, and from Zermatt to Geneva via Visp ………

So, please advise can we hop-on /off to any available trains at stations without any reservations in First Class..??

PASS 2: Jungfraujoch/Top of Europe ( Round trip from Interlaken, Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch for swiss travel pass holder).

for above pass, please suggest me step by step procedure to reach jungfraujoch from Zurich.

5. Since there are 2 stations in Interlaken, to which Interlaken station we need to board a train from ZURICH.

6. In this pass it has written that, Seat Reservations are recommended from Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch…., so please advise me the procedure for seat reservation..?? is there any website to reserve my seat (or) it can be reserved only at station..???

PASS 3: Zermatt – Matterhorn glacier Paradise – Zermatt (Including Glacier Palace)

7. please advise me step by step procedure to use above pass..??? from which Zermatt station to board this train..?? and hours of journey back to Zermatt..??

hope my above questions are clear, and please let me know for any clarifications.

shall be awaiting for your reply.

Regards,

Shajahan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 September 2016 at 10:25:34 #855746

Hi Shajahan, thank you for joining us, and welcome!

Children up to 5 years old indeed travel for free, even without the Swiss Family Card.

Regarding pass activation questions: normally you buy passes online and print them at home, and you don’t need to validate them. But as you have purchased via a travel agent exceptions may apply, so you’d better ask them what to do. Perhaps you need to get it stamped at a ticket office. Once you pass is validated you can just board trains, boats and buses and only show your pass when requested.

As for seat reservations: you do not need them except for the Bernina and Glacier Express. Please see myswissalps.com/ train/reservations.

Most people start their trip to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken Ost. But you can start anywhere and just change trains if required. Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/ gettingthere. Seat reservations are only optional: myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2016 at 19:15:19 #855747

Dear Arno,

thanks for your reply and it’s very clear for me now.

also I appreciate your advise on my questions related to Pass#3 (please see questions above in first forum).

thanks again and you are the best in your job.

regards,

Shajahan khader

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 September 2016 at 5:52:04 #855748

Hi Shajahan.

I’m glad to help! What you refer to as “pass 3” is actually a ticket I think. So it allows one round trip, not unlimited traveling like a pass. But again your travel agent should know what he/she sold you and whether you need to validate the ticket. In any case you will pass by a ticket office at the valley station of the cableway, so you can ask there as well. My guess is that you have a voucher which can be exchanged for an actual ticket at the ticket desk.

• The thread ‘Suggestions on how to use Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.