Reservation for Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2014 at 6:11:07 #806591

hi,

i am planning to go on 1st oct 2014 at 1.30pm from

1)innsbruck to buchs sg :seat booked on railjet but not reserved

2)buchs sg to zurich :planning to use swiss pass on same railjet.

so i need to knw..

a) will there be seats available to sit without reservation during my dates

b)if i want to reserve my second leg i.e. 2) without booking ticket(as i have swiss pass) is it possible only resevation

c)can i activate my swiss pass from innsbruck station

d)can i activate swiss pass earlier than the date of travel..i.e.im planning to use my pass from 1st october. to 15 oct for 15 days…can i activate on 26september..from zurich station

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    22 August 2014 at 9:54:20 #840882

Hi binakenia,

a) b) I’m not sure what you mean by “seat booked on Railjet but not reserved”. If you have booked a seat it will be reserved for you. You can just stay seated in Buchs. Chances are very small that someone else has booked your seat for the Swiss part of the journey, as booking seats is not common and not required in Switzerland, see here.

c) d) See the Swiss Pass page for details about validation. In short: you can activate your pass at any staffed Swiss station or through the staff on board of trains bound for Switzerland (do so before the border). I suppose you can have it done before your first travel date, but be sure to make that clear to the ticket desk personnel.

I hope this was useful for you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2014 at 15:13:26 #840883

thanks arno,

“seat booked on Railjet but not reserved”..i mean i have a ticket to travel without reservation…so will i get a seat to sit if theres no reservation?..the website did not give me a chance to reserve my seat..

are there separate coaches for reserved and unreserved seats?

Arno
    15478 posts
    23 August 2014 at 7:18:35 #840884

Hi binakenia,

Reservation is optional for this train. Personally I would book a seat for such a long trip on a international train. If you don’t have your Swiss Pass yet you can order it along with the pass (see here for where to buy), and here for how to get a discount on your pass.

If you do not book a seat you can pick any non-reserved seat that is not occupied. There are no separate coaches.

• The thread ‘Reservation for Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.