Reservations or not

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2010 at 18:21:50 #803946

Our family of four, all adults, are traveling for the first time to Switzerland in September. We first will be in Germany, then will take the train from Frankfurt to Lauterbrunnen then on to Wengen for 5 nights. After that, we travel to Lausanne for one night, then to Geneva airport to fly out. While in the OB region, we will probably go up to the Schilthorn, to Grindelwald, to Interlaken for a boat ride, and maybe some other train rides around the area. From my calculations, it appears that the Swill half fare card is the best deal for us (however, if you have a better option, please let me know). My question is, I am used to having everything reserved well in advance of our travels; however, it seems that is not possible with the card. It appears, from reading the many postings on this forum that getting tickets at the last minute is not a problem. Am I correct?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 August 2010 at 4:59:44 #831658

Hello jimbo5! You’re right: seat reservation isn’t necessary for most trips in Switzerland. You can simply get on board of trains, buses, boats and cable cars whenever you want. Especially in September, when high season is over, this won’t cause any problems. There are some exceptions: international trains may require seat reservations, which is indicated by an ‘R’ in a rectangular in the timetable. More information on this can be found in our rail FAQ. For special panoramic trains, seats have to be reserved as well. I don’t know how you’ll be travelling from Wengen to Lausanne. If it’s by regular train, you don’t have to reserve seats. If you opt for the panoramic Golden Pass train though, it would be wise to make seat reservations. This can be done online or a few days in advance at a larger railway station, for example in Interlaken.

Whether or not you can or even should make seat reservations, doesn’t depend on the type of pass you use. With a Swiss Half Fare Card, it’s possible to make seat reservations as well. The seat reservation fee is equal to all and it doesn’t matter if you use a rail pass. The tickets for the rail trips themselves will be discounted by 50% with a Swiss Half Fare Card. By the way, a Swiss Half Fare Card indeed sounds like a good solution to me. You seem to have done the math already; maybe these tips will add some more information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2010 at 7:50:09 #831659

Hello Annika,

Thank you very much for the information. We are looking forward to the trip.

jimbo5

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2010 at 21:55:57 #831660

Jimbo –
    My experience is that if you are traveling by auto, reservations for rooms (if your questions include that) are rarely needed (even if the first place you inquire has “kein Zimmer frei”, they will even call around to find where accomadations are available. HOWEVER, if you are traveling by train, everyone else traveling by train is looking for the same places for which you are looking (and if they are full – having ben booked by those other travelers) your options are limited by your lack of transportation. Just something to think about. You will enjoy Switzerland!! Buy the Jungfraubahn Pass and use it incessantly. (Mannlichen, Schinnge Platte usw)

• The thread ‘Reservations or not’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.