Restrooms on hikes above Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2016 at 15:53:17 #808581

My wife and I are in our mid-60’s and plan to take some of the easy hikes around Gimmelwald and Grindelwald in the middle of July. Please give us an idea how often we might be able to find bathroom facilities on the trails.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 March 2016 at 18:57:27 #849248

Hi Wilburvon-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I have the same concerns on longer hikes; most of the ones I take these days are shorter not problematic. Although, on the three to four hour walk from Hohtenn to Ausser berg in the Rhone alley, I am quite pleased to find a beer garden with toilets about half way. 😉

For both the beer and the toilets.

In the area that you mention, not surprisingly, it depends on the trail. 😉

Pick your trails to have restaurants or train/cableway stations or inns at each end….that is pretty easy. Some trails have facilities along the way ….for example, a restaurant at Winteregg between Mürren and Grütschalp. Free standing toilet facilities are not common.

To go beyond that level of detail, I, at least, need to know which hikes you will take.

If I were trying to find out more, I’d look at a couple of places on the internet. I hope there are better ways, because these are not the most direct answer to your question.

1.-

This list of hikes:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tou rism/destinations/klei ne-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

and,

2.-

a map which shows accommodations and has images showing likely buildings along a hike.

Here is one:

map.search.ch/Grindelw ald,M%C3%A4nnlichen?poi=bergbahn,gastro,ha ltestelle,zug&x=-3455m&y=-3347m&z=128

I have centered it on Winteregg, and used the menus under “Points of Interest” to open Traffic and Gastronomy”

Zoom way in for detail, and switch back and forth between aerial and map view. With sufficient magnification, you can see the tables with umbrellas.

I hope someone has a better way.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Restrooms on hikes above Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.