Glacier Express with Saver Day Pass and Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2019 at 14:35:41 #823496

Hi,

I plan to travel by Glacier Express from Zermatt to Filisur starting at 8:50AM on 17th Sept. I have saver day pass . Please let me know whether I can get the connecting time from Filisur to Zurich Hb. I have onward journey to Prague from Zurich Hbf by night train at 21:40 and would like to reach Zurich hbf by 18:00

Does Glacier Express reach in time to Filsur..Also do I have to buy ticket on Filisur to Zurich train

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2019 at 21:40:56 #920525

Hello Anuja

A Saver Day Pass covers all your travel Zermatt to Zurich. I presume you have reservations for the Glacier Express.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel and figure out the connection from Filisur to Zurich. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

To avoid doubling back on the GEX route from Filisur consider going via Davos to Zurich.

Either way you won’t quite reach Zurich by 18:00. See attached.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2019 at 23:17:01 #920526

Thanks for the reply and the two options. Few more related questions:

1. Are the glacier train run in time;

2. If I miss the onwards train from Filisur, Will there be buses to reach Zurich

3. Can I use saver day pass in Filisur – Zurich route

thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2019 at 23:27:33 #920527

1. 99.9999999% of the time.

2. No. You won’t miss the connection. But in the extremely unlikely event you did then the next train will be along in 1 hour. You might might want to check the timetable for connection through to the airport. The examples I gave were only to Zurich main station. Expect an additional 20 minutes for connection and travel to airport.

3. Yes.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 August 2019 at 1:17:34 #920528

<<“. If I miss the onwards train from Filisur, Will there be buses to reach Zurich?

“>>

The trains are faster than the buses. Skip the GEx, or give it enough time before you go to Prague.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 8:51:23 #920529

Hi Anuja123,

here are some links – you might have them, but other readers of this topic might missed it so far:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 9:58:24 #920530

Thanks,

Does IR train between Chur – Filisur – Davos requires reservation on second class?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 10:13:04 #920531

No, “normal” trains in Switzerland do not require seat reservation, only a few panoramic trains: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations/howto use

If you are anytime in doubt, you can check the timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable), use the advanced one on the right. Trains are marked as ‘Reservation compulsory’ (you have to book a seat) or ‘Reservation possible’ (you can book a seat, but it’s not required).

• The thread ‘Glacier Express with Saver Day Pass and Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.