Getting to Mt Titlis and Mt. Rigi in one day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 16:37:48 #813145

Hi again.I wish to make both the trips(rigi railway and trip to mt.titlis on 18th sept from luzern..

1.Is it possible to do both in one day?

2.How much time does it require on rigi rail?Prior reservation needed?Can anyone provide me with time table for this route(from luzern).Or procide any suggestions?

3.Mount Titlis,how to plan the journey?Time table?Prior reservations?Time required?Is morning part of the day better or second hald of the day?Which trip should I do first,rigi or titlis?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 17:26:50 #869302

Hi Pooja64,

1. Yes, both Mt.Titlis and Mt. Rigi can be done in one day.
    2. You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan these trips (enter Rigi or Titlis as your destination).
    3. you can read all about how to get to Mt. Titlis here and Mt. Rigi here. The best part of the day to go is whenever the weather is good. 🙂
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 17:57:54 #869303

Thanks Lucas.Time table I think shows regular trains.What about any separate time table for cogwheel train to Rigi?Do I take a regular train from luzern to Vitznau and then take a cogwheel train to Rigi and Arth Goldau?But where to find this route of cogwheel?

Similarly for Mt.Titlis where to find time table for car rides starting from Engelberg and boat rides time table from Hergiswil to Luzern?As I mentioned I wish to make trips to Mt.Titlis and Mt.Rigi on same day.Same problem I am facing of not finding a time table for cogwheel train to Pilatus from Alpnachstad .Can you suggest a schedule for me to visit Pilatus on 17/09/2017 morning and on 18/09/2017 both Mt.Titlis and Rigi?as I dont wish to miss any chance of making the most of my trip to beautiful Switzerland?(too much to ask for??…)

Thanks for your valuable input.I atleast have some clarity in my mind but a lot of apprehension whether I will be able to visit all the places that I have in my mind.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 0:16:20 #869304

>> Time table I think shows regular trains.

The timetable shows all public transport in Switzerland, which includes trains, buses, boats, cable cars, cogwheel trains and funiculars.

>> What about any separate time table for cogwheel train to Rigi?

The Rigi website will show you the same times for the cogwheel train as the main Swiss Timetable will, but the main Swiss Timetable is better for helping you to plan your connections to and from the Rigi mountain transport, i.e. to and from Luzern or wherever else you are starting from or going to.

>> Do I take a regular train from luzern to Vitznau and then take a cogwheel train to Rigi and Arth Goldau?But where to find this route of cogwheel?

There is no train to Vitznau: it is reached by bus or boat. The boat is more scenic.

There are two cogwheel trains to the Rigi, one on each side of the mountain, i.e. one between Vitznau and Rigi Kulm and one between Arth-Goldau and Rigi Kulm. The routes are shown on the map for which Lucas has already provided you a link.

All you need to do is use the Swiss Timetable, putting in “From Luzern” “To Rigi Kulm” and choose an option that includes the boat to Vitznau, which will be denoted on the timetable as “BAT” or “BAV”.

>> Similarly for Mt.Titlis where to find time table for car rides starting from Engelberg and boat rides time table from Hergiswil to Luzern?

Use the Swiss Timetable. Given you are short on time, I would skip the boat trip between Luzern and Hergiswil, as it only runs 5-6 times a day when you are there. Take the train the whole way between Luzern and Engelberg instead. Put “From Luzern” “To Kleintitlis” into the timetable and it will give you the whole route from Luzern to the top of the Titlis.

>> As I mentioned I wish to make trips to Mt.Titlis and Mt.Rigi on same day.Same problem I am facing of not finding a time table for cogwheel train to Pilatus from Alpnachstad.

Use the Swiss Timetable. For Pilatus put “From Luzern” “To Pilatus Kulm” “Via Alpnachstad”. It will give you connections for the whole trip from Luzern to the top of the Pilatus.

>> Can you suggest a schedule for me to visit Pilatus on 17/09/2017 morning and on 18/09/2017 both Mt.Titlis and Rigi?

Please try to plan it out yourself by using the Swiss Timetable, and if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 7:30:04 #869305

Hi Pooja64,

Yes, the timetable will give you all the information you need for all forms of transport in Switzerland. It is much easier to use rather than using PDF schedules to each mountain and try to piece everything together yourself. Honest. 🙂

When traveling between mountains, for example, again all you need to enter is FROM “Klein Titlis” TO “Rigi Kulm” and the timetable will give you all the options that are possible (starting with the quickest routing).

Any more questions please ask. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 8:28:02 #869306

Hi Pooja, just off the track message here… Excuse me for that.We will be in Lucerne for 7 nights from 17th sep ..let me know if you’re interested in doing these trips together.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 9:07:28 #869307

Thanks Lucas for the tips.I am again up with few more questions(hopefully not many now).As the trip is coming closer clarity is more in my mind.

1.With swiss travel pass do I have to pay 50% for whole of the trip to Titlis or only part of the route?May be some portion is free?

2.Jungfraujoch as is suggested should go one way up and the other way down(lauterbrunnen and grindenwald).So when I buy the ticket do I need to buy separate tickets,one from Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch and other from Jungfraujoch to Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald?(Keeping in mind that with swiss travel pass the route to and fro between Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen or Grindenwald is covered and not to be paid?

Is it reasonable to go to the train station and buy ticket just before travelling to Jungfrau?As I will be reaching Interlaken late evening on 18th sept or mid morning 19th sept and intend to go to Jungfraujoch around 11 am.

3.Are euros accepted in Switzerland or only Swiss francs?

4.On 20th sept morning I wish to travel from Interlaken to Zurich,drop my bags at the hotel and to go to Rhine Falls around noon time.I am confused if Schaffhausen and Schloss Laufen are same?And if Rhine falls and Rheinfall is same?I can see train connection from Zurich to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall,so should I take that or I should take Zurich to Schaffhausen train then take bus no 1 or 6 from Schaffhausen to Neuhausen?

Thanks in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 9:35:54 #869308

Thanks a lot ALpenrose.

Dear pkhedkar1512,me and my husband most likely would go for Mt.Titlis and RIgi on 17th sept ,so we intend to start early in the day so that we can cover both places in same day.On 18th sept we intend to go to Pilatus morning till afternoon and in the evening would go from Luzern to Interlaken.Will any of this suit you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 12:01:08 #869309

Hi Pooja64,

1. The Swiss Travel Pass gives you 50% from Engelberg to the top. From Lucerne or another town it would be totally free to Engelberg. You can read about everything that is covered or not covered on the Swiss Travel Pass here.
    2. You can buy round-trip tickets for Jungfraujoch at the rail station in Interlaken or online here.
    3. Some shops and restaurants will accept Euro’s but many will only accept Swiss Francs. You should definitely get Swiss Francs for your trip. Some shops won’t accept credit card here either so having Swiss Francs on you is very important.
    4. RheinFall is the German spelling and Rhine falls is English (like Lucerne and Luzern). You can take a train to either Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall or Neuhausen Rheinfall. Both are equally good.

Cheers!

• The thread ‘Getting to Mt Titlis and Mt. Rigi in one day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.