Round Trip Kandersteg to Kleine Scheidegg

• JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    8 May 2012 at 14:37:50 #805229

Hi

I’ll be based in Kandersteg on June 8th and would like to take a round trip to Kleine Scheidegg (not Jungfraujoch), travelling by rail out via Grindlewald and back via Lauterbrunnen (or vice versa). I’ll have a half-fare pass. I’d like to do the trip for as reasonable a cost as possible.

1 Is there any kind of a round trip fare from Kandersteg? I’m aware of the 9 o’clock travel pass at CHF58, but don’t know if this would include the Grindlewald – kl Scheidegg – Lauterbrunnen section, and perhaps the planned trip could be done for less than that.

2 If no round trip fare, what would be the cheapest way of doing the trip? I’d appreciate definite costs. (I’ve found it difficult to find details of the Grindlewald – Lauterbrunnen timetable and fares on line – perhaps you could direct me or let me know the single fare for this section).

3 Would typical tickets allow breaks and sightseeing at say Spiez, Interlaken and Wengen, or would such breaks necessitate booking short single tickets?

4 Any reduction for over 60s?

5 Could this trip be pre-booked and paid for in UK with GBP? If not, can tickets be bought at stations?

Many thanks

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 May 2012 at 5:37:06 #835976

Hello John, and welcome to the forum! The add-on day card would provide free traveling up to Grindelwald and from Wengen. A 50% discount would still apply to the leg Grindelwald-Kleine Scheidegg-Wengen. The synoptic map, to be downloaded from the SBB page on add-on cards, shows this. This means it’s cheaper to just buy 50% discounted tickets for the entire round trip using your Swiss Half Fare Card. Senior discounts are not available.

Costs can be found by entering your journey in the SBB timetable, choosing a connection and clicking ‘Fare/Buy’. Prices up to Kleine Scheidegg are not included here, but they can be found at the Jungfrau railways website.

Yes, your tickets will allow you to get on and off board along the route as often and as long as you like; you just have to complete the journey within one day.

You could pre-book your tickets using either the SBB website or the Jungfrau railways website, but that’s really not necessary. You can buy your tickets at the Kandersteg railway station, either from the ticketing machines (which have great instructions in English) or from a manned desk.

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    10 May 2012 at 7:54:24 #835977

Thank you Annika for your excellent, clear and prompt answer.

I’ve checked your recommended links. The SBB website shows by default ticket prices at 50% rate. However, the Jungfrau website I think (and hope) shows prices at 100%, for instance Grindlewald – Wengen at CHF 56.00. Would you kindly confirm that this is a 100% fare?

I notice too that it is possible to get a round trip fare from Zweilütshinen or Interlaken Ost, if I understand “Kleine Scheidegg via Lauterbrunnen o. Grindelwald” correctly. I haven’t yet checked, but this might be the cheapest way of doing things from Kandersteg.

I’m considering walking from Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen, if this is a relatively easy established path. Could you give me distances and relative heights, please?

Many thanks again

John

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 May 2012 at 5:50:13 #835978

Hi John! Yes, the prices mentioned at the Jungfrau railways website are the regular 100% fares. The round trip ticket from Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg via Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald indeed is the cheapest solution. It will be discounted by 50% upon showing your Swiss Half Fare Card.

As for the hike down from Wengen: it’s a good path, but steep and as it’s mainly in the forest, it doesn’t offer the best views. I would personally prefer the section Kleine Scheidegg-Wengen for a hike.

• The thread ‘Round Trip Kandersteg to Kleine Scheidegg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.