Running shoes or hiking boots in Jungfrau region?

• sbstoval
    Participant
    12 posts
    23 May 2022 at 19:50:58 #827282

Can you get away with only wearing running shoes in Jungfrau region? We’re not doing any strenuous or advanced hikes, it will mostly be the casual hikes around the mountain towns and then one trip to Jungfraujoch. We will be there June 2-5, also we’re in our mid twenties and in good exercise shape. Again we’re not looking to do serious hiking, but want to be well equipped to explore.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 May 2022 at 20:20:19 #942245

Hi sbstoval,

For casual hikes, I think running shoes are fine.

If you’re planning a more adventurous hike, you might want to come a little more prepared : http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/preparation

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    24 May 2022 at 16:35:11 #942246

The main advantages to hiking boots are better traction, often waterproof, ankle support, and stiffer bottoms for rocky terrain. Running shoes are usually much lighter and often more comfortable. The trails in the Jungfrau area are generally well maintained and not rocky. I think more and more people are using running shoes (especially trail running shoes ) for day hikes, myself included. Unless you are doing a multi day long distance backpacking trip running shoes should be fine but be prepared for the possibility of wet feet.

Mark

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    25 May 2022 at 5:56:13 #942247

Hi.

I’ve always worn boots and spent a lot of my time wishing I’d worn runners – until I hit snow, scree, steep terrain or water and then I thank the stars I’m wearing boots. For walks like First to Bachalpsee, runners are fine, but if the trail sign posts have the white/red/white markers then boots are appropriate.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2022 at 8:08:42 #942248

Hi there,

maybe it is just me then but I prefer hiking shoes rather than running shoes. I’ve seen some people wearing lighter shoes, not even running shoes (although I still think that normal shoes like textile shoes are not good, they can be even dangerous in my opinion.)

Ildiko

More about the Jungfrau region: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion

• The thread ‘Running shoes or hiking boots in Jungfrau region?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.