Saver Day Pass needed for the adults & children?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2019 at 7:10:47 #824743

I am traveling to Europe in April 2020 in a family of 4 (2 Adults + 2 Children aged below 13 Years). I will be traveling from Lindau (Bavaria) to Lugano and onwards to Milan on 02.05.2020 (Saturday) and have planned my itinerary as under:

1. Lindau to Rorschach by Ferry Operated by SBB

2. Rorschach to Chur by Train Operated by SBB

3. Chur to Tirano by Train Operated by SBB. Or Chur to Bellinzona by Bus operated by PostBus

4. Tirano to Lugano by Bus Operated by SBB. Or Bellinzona to Lugano by Train operated by SBB

I am planning to buy Saver Day Passes for me and my wife (without Swiss Half Fare Card) for 02.05.2020 whenever it is available for Sale online and also plan to buy Day Pass Children @ CHF 16 for our two children.My pointed questions are –

Can we purchase Day Pass Children for our children without any of us holding Swiss Half Fare Card? And it will be valid along with out Saver Day Passes?

Do we require to buy Swiss Family Card in order to buy Day Pass Children? I think SBB wont allow us Swiss Family Pass when we buy Saver Day Pass?

Do we require to buy Junior Travel Card in order to travel with our Children without any need to buy ticket for them? Will it not be waste of money to buy this Card (valid for 1 years) only for the Travel on one day?

The SBB website says that Day Pass Children can be purchased if Children are traveling along with Parents holding a “Valid Ticket”. Will our Day Saver Pass work as a Valid Ticket for us to buy Day Pass Children without worrying about any other condition?

Will ferry from Lindau to Rorschach accept Day Saver Pass and Day Pass Children?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 December 2019 at 19:51:16 #927040

Hello Vishav and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Can we purchase Day Pass Children for our children without any of us holding Swiss Half Fare Card? And it will be valid along with out Saver Day Passes?

Yes. A Saver Day Pass is “a valid ticket”. The correct name is a 1-day Travelpass for Children.

Do we require to buy Swiss Family Card in order to buy Day Pass Children?

No.

I think SBB wont allow us Swiss Family Pass when we buy Saver Day Pass?

Correct.

Do we require to buy Junior Travel Card in order to travel with our Children without any need to buy ticket for them?

No.

Will it not be waste of money to buy this Card (valid for 1 years) only for the Travel on one day?

Yes.

Will ferry from Lindau to Rorschach accept Day Saver Pass and Day Pass Children?

Yes. Even though the ferry is not operated by SBB the Saver Day Pass is valid so the 1-day travelpass for children is valid.

Please note the buses in your 3 & 4 require seat reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2019 at 0:05:06 #927041

Hello Vibhav,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

You and your wife may purchase the Saver Day Pass without having to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card as well. The sooner you purchase the Saver Day Pass, the better the price it will be. They have limited availability and do sell-out:

You will need to purchase a Junior travelcard for your two children when you and your wife have the Saver Day Passes. The details of the Junior travelcard is attached for your reference:

Even though the Junior travelcard is valid for 1 year and you just need to validate their travels along with your Saver Day Pass, you still cannot go around that stipulation. You cannot purchase 1-day travelpasses for your children while you and your wife only have the Saver Day Pass. The 1-day travelpass is only available for Swiss Half Fare Card holders. It is outlined on this link:

You only need to request for the Swiss Family Card when you purchase the following Swiss Travel System rail passes: Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Travel Pass Flex, and the Swiss Half Fare Card.

The Saver Day Pass is valid for the journey with the boat from Lindau to Rorschach. As long as you have purchased the Junior travelcards for your children, the boat journey is valid as well.

You can get seat reservations from Chur to Tirano from this link:

Seat reservations from Tirano to Lugano from this link:

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2019 at 0:34:05 #927042

You cannot purchase 1-day travelpasses for your children while you and your wife only have the Saver Day Pass. The 1-day travelpass is only available for Swiss Half Fare Card holders.”

Sorry Suzanne but I think you are wrong. A 1-day travelpass is not the same as a 1-day travelpass for children which only requires the parent to hold a valid ticket. A Saver Day Pass is surely a valid ticket.

I stand by my earlier advice.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2019 at 1:35:42 #927043

Hi Vibhav,

The SBB website says that Day Pass Children can be purchased if Children are traveling along with Parents holding a “Valid Ticket”. Will our Day Saver Pass work as a Valid Ticket for us to buy Day Pass Children without worrying about any other condition?

Take care with your use of terminology.

The products you need are called “Saver Day Pass” and “1-day travelpass for children”.

A Saver Day Pass is most assuredly a valid ticket. You don’t need to worry about any other condition as your children are under 13. This page says “Care to spend a full day out and about with your godchildren or neighbour’s children?”. I can’t believe that terminology would prevent parents taking advantage of the same offer.

If you are worried about the conflicting advice you are getting then you can always email SBB and get them to confirm. If you do then please let us know the answer they give you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2019 at 2:02:15 #927044

One more thing Vibhav . . .

I am traveling to Europe in April 2020 in a family of 4 (2 Adults + 2 Children aged below 13 Years). I will be traveling from Lindau (Bavaria) to Lugano and onwards to Milan on 02.05.2020 (Saturday) and have planned my itinerary as under:

1. Lindau to Rorschach by Ferry Operated by SBB

2. Rorschach to Chur by Train Operated by SBB

3. Chur to Tirano by Train Operated by SBB. Or Chur to Bellinzona by Bus operated by PostBus

4. Tirano to Lugano by Bus Operated by SBB. Or Bellinzona to Lugano by Train operated by SBB”

Have you checked the timetables? The first boat from Lindau to Rorschach won’t get you to the station until 11:03. That is too late for your Chur – Tirano – Lugano to connect with the once a day Bernina Express bus.

I strongly recommend using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares* and buying tickets on-line if required. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the SBB timetable it is worth first reading the instructions at http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections. You can also easily filter modes of transport (eg bus or ship).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2019 at 3:20:14 #927045

Hi Vibhav,

My final comment on the subject. 😉

The fastest way to get from Lindau to Milan is via St Gallen (EuroCity) and Arth-Goldhau (Voralpen Express). Depart 9:54 from Lindau and arrive Milan 15:50. That’s 6 hours. Any of your other permutations are going to be a real ordeal. Especially the options including buses.

If you followed this suggestion in addition to your cunning Saver Day Pass plan you would need tickets from Lindau to St Margrethen (train) and from Chiasso to Milan (which would also be required even if you did try to maximise your use of Swiss transport).

See http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/austria and http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2019 at 10:07:20 #927047

Hello rockoyster,

Mamma mia! I sure misread that one. (facepalm) Thank you expert rockoyster for correcting me on that one and please no apologises, I thank you for catching that one!! Again, that you for expert contributions, I appreciate it immensely.

Best regards,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2019 at 10:11:53 #927048
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2019 at 11:52:00 #927049

Thank a lot. Based on your comments, I am planning my transfer from Lindau to Milan with lot of scenic journey enroute as follows (Although I have an option of Traveling from Lindau – St Gallen – Arth Goldau – Milan with 6 hours, and at almost same cost with point to point ticket) :

1. Lindau to St. Margrethen by Train operated by DB and arrive at 10.00 AM (Will buy Point to Point ticket)

2. St Margrethen to Chur to St Moritz to Tirano on SBB / RhB network (Will buy “Saver Day Pass” without Half Fare Card @ CHF 52/ adult + “1-day travel pass for childrem” @ CHF 16/ child) – After going through various time tables, it appears that I can have 2 Hours for lunch break at st. Moritz and will reach Tirano by 5.00 PM. Thanks again to Rockoyster for catching my point of “1-day travel pass for childrem”.

3. Tirano to Milan on Trenord Network (Will buy Point to Point ticket)

Can you please help me know whether seat reservation on RhB network (Particularly on St Moritz to Tirano) would be necessarily required?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2019 at 18:52:33 #927050

Hell Vibhav,

That should work. It is indeed a scenic route.

You won’t need reservations on the Swiss trains. The only train on that route which requires seat reservations is the Bernina Express which departs St Moritz at 15:11 and you won’t be travelling on that I think.

• The thread ‘Saver Day Pass needed for the adults & children?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.