SBB or French Europe Rail??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    31 March 2012 at 5:23:01 #835395

Hi Billcoke, and welcome! You can best look for international trains to and from Switzerland in the Swiss timetable. Just add your travel data, see the list of connections and click the ‘plus’ at the left side for more information on each connection. This will also show which types of trains will be used (mostly regional trains and TGV’s). Luggage storage facilities are available in these trains, either near your seat or in a luggage compartment.

You can find the right seat reservation links for the Bernina Express and other scenic/international trains at our seat reservation page. Just scroll down a bit to find the links under the header ‘How to purchase railway seat reservations’.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2012 at 11:39:44 #835396

Hi Annika

Thanks for the links and your guidance. To understand how the SBB online booking works I tried to make a booking from Monte-Carlo(Monaco) to Paris via Nice(Ville).

1. SBB website only give me one option to pick up the train ticket at a staffed station in Switzerland. But the departure point is Monte Carlo, how is it possible to pick up the ticket from Switzerland?

2. The SBB Website quoted two prices, Standard Offer is CHF255 while Special Offer is CHF252. I can’t find the explanation on Special Offer, what exactly is Special Offer?

3. Under the Passengers page, I added a additional passenger, on the right of the page, I need to chose one of the following options:

“Reduction for
    (only reductions the passenger is already entitled to)
    – None,
    – France Frequency 1st class,
    – France Frequency 2nd class.

I don’t understand these options.

4. The link for Bernina Express; is a dead link
    http://www.rhb.ch:8080/pls/htmldb/f?p=121:1:1012032204013572::NO:::

Annika
    7103 posts
    31 March 2012 at 12:57:50 #835397

Hi Billcoke!

1. If I enter the same trip and details, there’s also the option ‘Post’ at the end which means that your ticket can be delivered by post. You may have tested the system for a date that’s too soon to have your tickets sent to you. If so, try booking for a later date if that’s an option (I don’t know when you’ll be traveling).

2. At the right of the Special Offer you’ll find the header ‘Conditions and validity’. Here it says that a ticket with the Special Offer rate can’t be changed or refunded, which explains why it’s cheaper than the Standard Offer.

3. You can fill this out if you have a rail pass for France that would provide discounts on this leg. I assume you don’t have any, so just fill out ‘None’ here. The same question is asked for Switzerland. You could fill out ‘GA’ in either 1st or 2nd class if you’d have a valid 1st or 2nd class a Swiss rail pass such as the Swiss Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass, as the system won’t calculate any costs for the Swiss leg of your trip in that case. However, if you’ll only be traveling up to Geneva which is right at the French/Swiss border, that isn’t relevant and you can fill out ‘None’ here as well.

4. Thanks for pointing that out. The reservation link for the Bernina Express changes frequently. We’ve adjusted it, so you should find you way to the reservation system when trying again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2012 at 0:55:52 #835398

Wowwww…That’s a lot of information. Awesome. Thank you so much.You are very patient!.

This is my first time making a train seat reservation, so the experience is still very new to me.

BTW, I’m from Singapore, they do mail the train tickets to Singapore, right?

Your Swiss Time website gives me the impression that SSB is the only train operator in the entire Europe? Even if I want to book a train trip outside of Switzerland, say from Paris to Monte Carlo (Monaco), or from Milan to Rome, all bookings are done via your Swiss Timetable website. I thought each of the European countries would have their own train operators eg: French Rails or Italian Rails, and I would need to go to each of these individual websites to book train tickets for each of the European countries.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I’m confuse here.

Thanks again. 🙂

Annika
    7103 posts
    1 April 2012 at 6:31:31 #835399

Hello Billcoke. I didn’t know you’re from Singapore. In that case: no, the SBB won’t ship to Singapore. It’s best to order your seat reservation through Rail Europe Singapore.

As for the train system: there are lots of train companies throughout all European countries, and there’s not one (Swiss) company covering it all. The Swiss timetable happens to be an extensive one, including train trips to and from Switzerland. There are other timetables available for other countries too. However, it doesn’t matter which companies you’ll be traveling with, as that doesn’t influence your journey. You can just use the timetable to look up your connections and you don’t have to pay attention to the type of trains or the companies they’re run by.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2012 at 7:18:00 #835400

Many thanks Annika, I’m much clearer now. Though you are not a Swiss Citizen but am impress with your patient, and knowledge on Switzerland and SBB rail network too. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2012 at 8:35:08 #835401

Hello Annika,

Apart from raileurope.com.sg, there are two other agents listed in MySwissAlps website that also sell Swiss Pass in SGD (see attached).

1. http://www.trainticket.com (website content is exactly the same as raileurope.com.sg, and offer the lowest price among the three agents)
    2. http://www.swissrailways.com (Owner is SBB Switzerland Travel Centre, offers the 2nd lowest price)

Does it matter whom I get the rail tickets from?

I’m tempted to get the ticket from trainticket.com for its lowest price.

Annika
    7103 posts
    1 April 2012 at 11:17:55 #835402

Hi Billcoke! All resellers mentioned at the Swiss Pass page when filling our Singapore as your country of residence are suitable. You can indeed chose Trainticket for its lowest price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2012 at 0:08:01 #835403

Thanks Annika for your prompt reply. 🙂

One of the forumer also mentioned about your contribution at Tripadvisor.com (see below)
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188045-i336-k4570116-5_Days_in_Switzerland_Trip_Report_28May_1June11_Long-Switzerland.html

Annika
    7103 posts
    2 April 2012 at 10:45:14 #835404

Thanks, Bill. Glad I could help!

• The thread ‘SBB or French Europe Rail??’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.