Seat reservation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2015 at 15:13:40 #807593

Hi I am planning a trip with family in Saptember. I just saw the discounts on 1st class rail pass tickets. Is it valid on 2nd class too ? Also is seat reservation mandatory on Glacier/Bernina/Golden Pass Line and others if we are travelling first class ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 July 2015 at 15:53:17 #844598

Hi kanikasat,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I don’t know about a discount on 1st class tickets. There is a discount on 1st class Swiss Travel Passes though, but for customers from the US, Canada and Central America only. Please see here for specifics and how to buy from other countries.

Please see our scenic train pages for information about seat reservations and everything else you need to know about them. Whether you need to book seats is not related to the class of travel. The page myswissalps.com/ train/reservations is interesting as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2015 at 16:06:25 #844599

HiI am planning a vacation to switzerland from 19th to 26th september and plan to buy the 1st class pass with the current promotions. But i see most of the scenic trains require additional reservations which will add to my cost – i am wondering if it makes sense to purchase the travel pass indeed or just book the train separately instead.

trains i will be taking lugano – lucerne – montreux- zermatt – St. Moritz – Tirano. What is the additional charge for seat reservation on panoramic trains and kindly suggest what i should do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2015 at 16:09:05 #844600

i am travelling from india. i saw in the other forums that discounts are valid.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 July 2015 at 16:37:37 #844601

Hi kanikasat,

These are the options in India:

Only the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express require seat reservations. These always need to be paid for separately, regardless whether you have a pass or point to point ticket. The costs for the Glacier Express is CHF 33 per person, the Bernina Express is less than that. You can also travel by regular trains and pay nothing extra. See our scenic train pages for details please.

Which pass works out best price wise can be calculated as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2015 at 11:19:40 #844602

can we get take the bernina express bus from tirano and get off on the way to carry on to bellagio on lake como ?

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 July 2015 at 13:41:56 #844603

Hi kanikasat,

That bus does not have stops along the way, so I would not count on it. It takes 30 to 45 minutes by train from Lugano to Como. From Como there are busses to Bellagio I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2015 at 0:16:34 #844604

Hello, Arno,

We are trying to purchase three 3-day Swiss Travel Passes for our group online and are looking to make reservations for our trip from Zurich to Milano. We understand the trip from Chiasso to Milano will need to be paid for additionally. As we tried to purchase the tickets, it said that 6 Euros will be charged for us to reserve our seats. Would that perhaps be the same rate for the reservations if we were to reserve the seats at the SBB counters? Our trip using the pass will be from 09-11 August 2015.

Thank you very much for your kind advice!

Tortoise

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2015 at 1:09:13 #844605

Hello, Arno,

We went through the shopping cart process with the Swiss Travel Passes as well as with booking seat reservations. However, the “Book a Seat Reservations” leads to “Find Tickets” and we are being charged 57 Euros. Would this be the fare for the Chiasso to Milano leg or simply for the seat reservations?

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Tortoise

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2015 at 2:21:57 #844606

Hello, Arno,

Need we book seat reservations for the scenic train trips and the panoramic train trips which are mentioned in various Websites?

Thank you very much!

Tortoise

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 July 2015 at 16:55:03 #844607

Hi Tortoise,

I’m not sure where you are trying to book the tickets to Milan, but here’s how it works:

The links above are your closest retailer (in Singapore, as there is no branch in the Philippines).

Seat reservations are only required for the Glacier Express and Bernina Express. Details can be found on our scenic train pages.

Please open a new thread if you have further questions. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 5:41:38 #844608

Hello, Arno,

Thank you for your reply. We booked our tickets selecting Swiss Travel Pass and also had the opportunity to input the €25 discount, which served to balance out the €25 charge for the delivery of the tickets.

However, we are not even sure what the actual breakdown of the amount charged is. We are supposed to receive 3 pcs. each of the Swiss Travel Passes and the Zurich-to-Milan tickets, plus supposedly some information materials and coupons.

Hoping it will all work out okay.

Best regards,

Tortoise

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 July 2015 at 12:57:10 #844609

Hi Tortoise,

I’m glad to help! Should you have any doubts after receiving your tickets and passes, feel free to attach a scan of them here so we can look into it. Of course you can also ask Rail Europe.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 13:14:00 #844610

Hello, Arno,

Thank you for the offer to help. We definitely appreciate it and will take you up on it should the need arise. : )

It said 2-3 business days so let’s hope they arrive by next Wednesday and it all goes smoothly.

Best regards,

Tortoise

• The thread ‘Seat reservation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.