Gotthard Panorama Express Göschenen to Flüelen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2019 at 19:34:00 #822996

I am coming from Zermatt (using GEX, already have seat reservation) and will disembark at Andermatt.

Looking at the SBB timetable (see attachment), there is a possibility to catch the Gotthard Express at Göschenen. Questions:

1. Is it worth it? Because it is only 4 minutes transfer time (travel with elderly people).

Point to consider, the next train out of Andermatt is 40 minutes later (final destination is Luzern).

2. If it is worth it, do I need a seat reservation (I have STP). If so, how to order? And how to use when the train is already half way (I mean, is it possible someone else took the seat?)

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 July 2019 at 21:36:47 #918406

Take a regular train. The Gotthard Panorama train is 1st Class only and requires a compulsory supplement (reservation fee) to be paid. Not worth it for such a short leg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2019 at 23:43:48 #918407

Please discard the notion of ‘using Gotthard’ and ‘not Gotthard’ .

From Göschenen northbound, your journey will be on the original Gotthard railway. You will be on the section known as the north ramp between Göschenen (the north portal of the original Gotthard railway tunnel) and Arth Goldau, or Fluelen if you choose to get off there and take the boat)

You can take any train from Andermatt to Göschenen (the official connection is provided from the xx.29 from Andermatt; and any train north from Göschenen, they depart hourly at xx.50 (change at Erstfeld).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2019 at 15:31:56 #918408

@1960man

I just try to use a term that best describe the connection options by the SBB timetable.

If my GEX (PE 900) will arrive at Andermatt at 10:46 and I put that info on the website, it gives me a list of 5 options. Connection 1 is what I labelled as “using Gotthard” as that what it said in the website (please see the original attachment). It will leave 10:50, only 4 minutes transfer time.

HOWEVER, the next train is a whole 40 minutes later (aka connection 2, the one I labelled “not Gotthard”, see the other attachment file). I do not want to wait 40 minutes in Andermatt station if I can help it but 4 minutes transfer time is kinda short, and I have to spend more money to reserve the seat (I do have 1st class STP, so no cost to upgrade).

I guess I do not have any other option but to wait for the 40 minutes layover. I agree with rockoyster, that the extra reservation cost is not worth it. Having said that, how do I get on the boat option from Fluelen? Why that option is not given to me (when I did the search)? I am sure that some of the passenger on that train (“Gotthard Express”, for better or worse term, aka PE 3092) will be taking that full train-boat “cruise” option. Or the boat-train Gotthard Panoramic route is only south-bound?

Thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2019 at 16:12:13 #918409

I think this is the answer to my questions:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/boat-from-fluelen

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/boat-from-fluellen-to-lucerne

Any addition to the above info? Thanks again.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 July 2019 at 20:54:35 #918410

Hello H2M,

The boat timetable shows the next paddle steamer departing at 14:00. The earlier paddle steamer only operates Sunday and Public holidays from 10 September. On 11 September the 12:00 and 13:00 departures and those later than 14:00 are the “less romantic” motor boats. The scenery is still the same but go for the paddle steamer if you have time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2019 at 0:32:39 #918411

I will break down the options for you:

You arrive in Andermatt at 10.46 (thereby missing one of the spectacular sections of the Glacier Express route over the Oberalp Pass – but that’s another discussion!)

You then have two options:

Andermatt 10.50 – Göschenen 11.05

or

Andermatt 11.29 – Göschenen 11.44

Go 11.50 – Erstfeld 12.15

Erstfeld 12.19 – Fluelen 12.30

Note for the above – as with all Swiss schedules the same times work every hour, so you could have lunch in Andermatt and travel down later

Fluelen – boat to Luzern departs every hour on the hour with 12.00, 15.00 and 16.00 sailings Paddle Steamers

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2019 at 0:43:29 #918412

“Fluelen – boat to Luzern departs every hour on the hour with 12.00, 15.00 and 16.00 sailings Paddle Steamers

Not according to the prevailing Autumn Timetable when H2M is travelling, 1960man.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2019 at 0:46:26 #918413

I thought the travel date was August – see PDFs

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2019 at 1:06:36 #918414

My bad, you win. I must have my wires crossed with another thread. A(nother) senior’s moment – it happens. 👴🏻

H2M – apologies for leading you on a paddle streamer wild goose chase. My mind was stuck on another traveller wanting a connection on 11 September. The timetable for your travel date is here. Paddle steamers aplenty!

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express Göschenen to Flüelen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.