Seniors and travel in Switzerland interrupted

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 16:49:38 #815231

Good Morning from United States and Ohio,

My wife is having a family reunion in Italy from 8/4 until 8/12. She will be 60 y/o and I will be 68 when we travel.

We arrive in Geneva on 7/30 and plan to go to Montreaux and spend the night and then take the scenic Golden pass train to Zweissmmen the next morning, take the cable car up and hike to Schonried and take the bus back and spend the night in Zweismmen.

The next morning take the train to Lacarno and spend the night before taking the train to Bologna and spend two nights there before taking the train to Perugia where we will stay at a villa for 8 days. (8/12) is our last day and she and I will return to Switerland and Lugano and resume our train travels in Switzerland until we depart for home on 8/29.

I researched your site for best pass for us, but the 15 day restriction seems to the problem. We need something else that would allow us to spend 10 days in Italy in between our Swiss adventure.

Can you help us with the right rail pass and is there a senior discount.

Many thanks,

David

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 18:23:07 #881771

Hi David, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

For the first part of your trip in Switzerland you need to see if a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass is the best option. Concerning the second part of your trip in Switzerland, if I’m not mistaken you will spend 17 days . You could probably do with a point-to-point ticket or a Saver Day Pass on your first day and last day so that leaves 15 days for a Swiss Travel Pass.

You only will know for sure if you have a clearly mapped out itinerary. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. This page has a spreadsheet to help you.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a senior discount.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 19:03:51 #881772

many thanks

• The thread ‘Seniors and travel in Switzerland interrupted’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.