Shipping skis from Zermatt to Paris

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 15:27:34 #816139

Hi!

I need to ship skis from Zermatt (train station) to Paris in early January 2019. The skis could either be sent to my hotel in Paris or to the Bercy train station in Paris (if they can be held there). I will be in Paris to pick up the skis a week after they are sent from Zermatt.

What is the cheapest way to do this?

THANKS!!

Mike

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 May 2018 at 17:34:47 #885956

Hello Mike, thanks for joining our forum!

The SBB (Swiss Railways) offer several luggage services. They’re explained at myswissalps.com/train/ practical/luggage. As far as I know there’s no reliable rail luggage service to foreign countries, other than Germany. I think you’d have to look for privately owned courier companies, or send your skis as a package by regular mail. Both options won’t be cheap though. Are you sure you can’t carry the skis along during your train transfer? Traveling with luggage usually isn’t a problem in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 13:20:56 #885957

Hi Annika,

Thanks so much for your reply.

The issue is my itinerary. I am traveling with my wife and 4 and 7 year olds. After Zermat, we will fly from Geneva to Cairo and spend a week in Egypt, in multiple destinations. Then we’ll fly from Cairo directly to France. It is not a reasonable option for me to take my skis to Egypt.

Looks like I’ll have to check into courier services. I am looking into sendmybag.com. Do you know any others?

If couriers are very expensive, I guess it will make more sense for me to rent skiis, I just don’t know what I can expect in terms of high performance rentals. Any recommendations on who to call in Zermatt regarding that?

Thanks.

Mike

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 16:00:04 #885958

Hi Mike,

I have rented skis from Zermatt and thought they were quite nice. I’m not too particular though! I’ve been skiing regularly but not often for 30 years.

I’m not sure your experience level and exact needs but you shouldn’t have much trouble finding what you need to rent there (Zermatt is a major ski destination for beginners to experts).

Try contacting some shops listed on the Zermatt Tourism website here: https://www.zermatt.ch /en/Skiing/Skimiete-Snowpark-Skischulen/Ski-rentals to see what they can offer.

Based on your itinerary I would lean to rentals if possible as it will make life much easier.

• The thread ‘Shipping skis from Zermatt to Paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.