Should I buy 4 or 8 D Swiss Pass or Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2014 at 15:23:47 #806757

Hi, I am planning a 6-7 day trip to Switzerland from 29 Dec 2014 to 4 Jan 2015. Trip is for 2 Adults, 1 child and 1 Youth. Day 1 : Strasbourg to Interlaken. Day 2 : Visit Jungfrau (top of Europe) then take train to Brig. Day 3: Take Glacier express from Brig to Chur then regional train to Lucern. Day 4: Boat ad train trips plus cogwheel up Rigi Kulum and return back to Lucern. Day 5: Trip up Mount Titlis. Day 6: Travel to Zurich for local sightseeings. Next day take bus to Airport. I was planning to buy a 8 Day Swiss Pass with Family Card and 1 Youth Pass (All 2nd Class). However I am not sure if the Half Fare Card (1st Class) for 4 Adults works out to be a better option. And if I did, is it worth to buy a 1 day swiss pass for any of the days? Are you able to advise me? Thanks for your advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    10 December 2014 at 14:43:38 #841399

Hi mytravel,

A Swiss Pass would definitely be the most convenient option, as you don’t need to buy tickets for many of the trips, not even for the Rigi trip as that’s included for free. Whether a Swiss Half Fare Card is cheaper requires some calculations as explained here. In any case, be sure to look into the pass discounts (click the Discounts tab on the pass pages I referred to).

Please note that there is no 1st class Swiss Half Fare Card. A Swiss Half Fare Card is not purchased for a specific class of service. The discounted tickets you buy with it can be 2nd class or 1st class. You would need 3 Swiss Half Fare Cards. The child (if under 16) travels along for free with the Swiss Family Card, regardless of which pass you choose for the adults. There is no 1-day Swiss Pass, but there is a 1-day travelpass for Swiss Half Fare Card holders (see here). Your plans do not look like you would need one of those.

Hopefully this helps to make a choice. Have a great time in Switzerland!

• The thread ‘Should I buy 4 or 8 D Swiss Pass or Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.