Should I visit Zermatt in May 2018? closures?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2018 at 14:28:18 #814591

Hello there, I will be visiting Switzerland for the first time in early May 2018 and I wish to visit Jungfraujoch and Matterhorn. However as I tried to check on ticket pricing, I realised some of the cable cars may be closed due to maintenance so am in a dilemma if I should still visit Zermatt??

If so, where else can I explore? Or should I visit another region?

I have read that Zermatt is open all year round however am very sad that I cannot even go up to any of the peaks or snowpark or even Schwarzsee to play the Toboggan…

May I also confirm if the snow park at Jungfrau region is open during early May 2018?

Thanks so much in advance for all your kind advice!

My itinerary:

First night: Lucerne

Second night: Grindelwald

Third night: Grindelwald

Fourth night: Zermatt

Fifth night: Zermatt

Sixth night: Montreux

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2018 at 16:33:51 #877596

Hi robcoco and welcome to MySwissAlps!

May can still be a reasonable time to come to Switzerland, but it is quieter due to cable car maintenance – or perhaps because of cable car maintenance. What are your actual travel dates?

You can read about some of the major cable cars that are closed in April/May in Luzern & Grindelwald here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/gond olarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018

For Zermatt: Klein Matterhorn re-opens May 12 and a few others like Schwarzsee are closed until late May or June. But Gornergrat is open and gets you up in the mountains with great views of the Matterhorn (weather dependent).

It all depends on your exact plans and wants. Swiss mountains are fully open by early June & all hiking trails are usually open by mid-June (weather dependent).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 5:28:59 #877597

Hello and thank you so much Lucas!

My travel dates are between 5th to 11th May and Klein Matterhorn opens on May 12…

I booked the flight tickets when there was a promotion in Nov 2017 and the 2018 schedule was not out yet but read that Zermatt/Matterhorn is open 365 days so I went ahead to book.

What confuses me is that the Matterhorn official website states no rides are open on the timetable including Gornergrat however Gornergrat ticket is available for booking on Zermatt official website?

Could you advise where should I be looking at for a more accurate schedule? Understand it is also subject to changes/weather dependent. The only rides that are open on 8th May are Zermatt to Furi and the Furggsattel glacier lift.

Can we also take the Furggsattel glacier lift even if we are not skiing?

It seems like Grindelwald has a lot of closure during first week of May as well =(

Do you have any other regions in mind that I could perhaps visit in order to view the magnificent white view of the Swiss Alps and play Toboggan rides?

Sorry for the many questions and thank you so much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 7:08:20 #877598

Well Zermatt the town is open year-round of course, and the Matterhorn is always there – but you can never access the mountain itself.

You’re only options are to go up Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise. The cable car to Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise is closed for maintenance April 30 – May 11 (this is the time roughly every year). Gornergrat doesn’t have any closures for scheduled maintenance.

You can find the timetable on Zermatt.ch for various chair lifts and cable cars.

I think the easiest way to see if a route is operating is to always use the Swiss railways timetable. Enter Zermatt to Gornergrat and you get a schedule; enter Zermatt to Klein Matterhorn on the closed days and it will say “no connection can be found”.

Yes you can take most lifts that I am aware of even if you aren’t skiing – however sometimes there is nothing to do at the end except ski. 🙂

For the Grindelwald area you can visit the top 2 attractions: Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch. Hiking though will be limited due to snow levels at those elevations at that time of year.

Another area you can visit with nearby mountains is Lucerne – see what to do in Lucerne here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 14:41:02 #877599

Thank you so much Lucas!

I will check out the links you have so kindly provided =))

Cheers!

• The thread ‘Should I visit Zermatt in May 2018? closures?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.