Should we purchase a rail ticket?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2011 at 12:59:26 #804391

We plan on being in the Bernese Oberland area (Lauterbrunnen)for 4 nights. ( 2 adults and 2 children-ages 16 and 18). We will have a rental car but would like to explore the area using local trains/funiculars/cable cars etc…. We would also like to go up to Mt Titlus for the day. Would it be worth it to purchase one of the Swiss passes or simply go on the 1/2 price card. I am not familiar with the train fares. Also we are on a budget. Any reccomendations would be helpful.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 June 2011 at 4:28:12 #833146

Hi mcotravelgal, and welcome! A Swiss Half Fare card sounds like the best choice to me. It’s relatively cheap and proves to be cost effective very often, even for rather short stays. If you want to be sure, you should calculate the costs of your trips and find out whether a Swiss Half Fare Card is worth your money. After all, this depends on the exact trips you plan to make by public transport. Tips on how to find find rail and cable car prices can be found in our FAQ. I hope this helps you to make the best decision! Best regards,

• The thread ‘Should we purchase a rail ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.