SIM card with data package for 8 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2011 at 7:32:05 #804236

Any suggestion about the best way to buy a mobile SIM card with data package (unimited, if possible) for 8 days tour in Switzerland?!!!

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 April 2011 at 14:02:02 #832612

Hello thanvi. I think this topic should help you out. It contains links to other forum topics with tips as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2011 at 6:53:51 #832613

Thanks Annika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2011 at 5:19:22 #832614

I think you might struggle to get any sort of data card as a non-resident. The law in Switzerland is that anyone buying a pre-paid card must provide proofs of identity and register the card. That means you might be able to get a card shipped to you, although I think that might be difficult without a Swiss address, but it’s locked until you go to a, for example, a Swisscom store with ID and get it unlocked.

WIFI is widely available, if you signed up with BOINGO for example I think they had some sort of trial offer where it was free or low cost for the first month and the price will beat any mobile tariff by a long, long way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2011 at 5:56:01 #832615

Oh…thanks for the info, Leader. So, can I buy t when I reach there with my ID and register it at the same time?!

And any contact details of BOINGO?!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2011 at 6:26:09 #832616

http://www.boingo.com/ 🙂

You might be lucky in a store, to be honest when we’ve bought phones they ask for resident permits. I know both Swisscom and Sunrise have PAYG data/voice packages.

• The thread ‘SIM card with data package for 8 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.