SIM card with data package for 8 days

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
thanvi
thanvi
7 posts
Apr 21, 2011 - 9:32 AM
Any suggestion about the best way to buy a mobile SIM card with data package (unimited, if possible) for 8 days tour in Switzerland?!!!

Thanks
Annika
Annika
5008 posts
expert &
Apr 21, 2011 - 2:02 PM
Hello thanvi. I think this topic should help you out. It contains links to other forum topics with tips as well.
thanvi
thanvi
7 posts
Apr 22, 2011 - 6:53 AM
Thanks Annika
SwissMountainLeader
SwissMountainLeader
55 posts
Apr 23, 2011 - 5:19 AM
I think you might struggle to get any sort of data card as a non-resident. The law in Switzerland is that anyone buying a pre-paid card must provide proofs of identity and register the card. That means you might be able to get a card shipped to you, although I think that might be difficult without a Swiss address, but it's locked until you go to a, for example, a Swisscom store with ID and get it unlocked.

WIFI is widely available, if you signed up with BOINGO for example I think they had some sort of trial offer where it was free or low cost for the first month and the price will beat any mobile tariff by a long, long way.
thanvi
thanvi
7 posts
Apr 23, 2011 - 5:56 AM
Oh...thanks for the info, Leader. So, can I buy t when I reach there with my ID and register it at the same time?!

And any contact details of BOINGO?!
SwissMountainLeader
SwissMountainLeader
55 posts
Apr 23, 2011 - 6:26 AM
http://www.boingo.com/ :-)

You might be lucky in a store, to be honest when we've bought phones they ask for resident permits. I know both Swisscom and Sunrise have PAYG data/voice packages.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019