Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Skiing advice for Grindelwald area in April

Skiing advice for Grindelwald area in April

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
TKimble
TKimble
1 post
Mar 11, 2020 - 8:31 PM

Greetings! My husband and I are traveling to Grindelwald and want to ski on April 9. Our booked hotel is in Grindelwald. We are not avid skiers...more novice to moderate. We like to just spend time on the slopes looking at nature.

Our tour company has recommended traveling to Manlichen and renting equipment at the top and then returning it at the bottom? I need some help planing the following details:

We need to rent all ski equipment (including jackets/pants). Where can this be done? Will I need reservations? Should I rent at the top and return at the bottom as suggested?

Best area to focus on skiing from since it is in April? Grindelwald First? Manlichen?

Is there any sledding to do this time of year?

We also have a paragliding trip planned from Grindelwald. Is this a good time of the year for this?

Thank you!

Ildiko
Ildiko
949 posts
top member &
Mar 12, 2020 - 9:12 AM in reply to TKimble

Hi TKimble and welcome to MySwissAlps,

great that you are coming to the Jungfrau region. First of all please read about the snow fun in Switzerland at www.myswissalps.com/activities/snow.

You can check the 3 ski resorts at www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/, you'll also find the slope maps there for each resort and the current snow quality. Probably the Mürren-Schilthorn resort will be the best for you, as it has the highest average altitude.

For the sledging please check this: www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/sledging/. Today mostly just the Grindelwald-Wengen sledging slopes are open, I cannot tell if they will have good snow in April.

Regarding the paragliding, my husband flies sometimes but he never does it before May/June because of the colder weather. You'll find a few companies offering paragliding experience at www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities. I suggest to ask them directly. They might have equipment so the flight can be enjoyable despite the chili weather.

I am not sure which ski rental company they recommended for you at Mannlichen, I found this one: jungfrauregion.swiss/en/winter/see-and-do/healthy-vital/health/wellness-at-the-lake-in-the-congres-hotel-seepark/rental/. But you'll find many places in the whole Jungfrau region. This one for example also offers ski jackets: www.outdoor-interlaken.ch/en/winter/rentals. Also worth to check this one: www.intersportrent.ch/skirent-jungfrau-region.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Also read:

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7481 posts
expert
Mar 13, 2020 - 12:50 AM in reply to TKimble

<<"and want to ski on April 9. ">>

You are a bit late for the best skiing. True, there is usually some available in early April...if the weather has not been too warm.

Please check local sources once you are there...hotels/train stations/ local tourist information offices.

Good luck.

Slowpoke

Anna
Anna
822 posts
top member &
Mar 13, 2020 - 8:59 PM in reply to TKimble

Hi TKimble,

A few hours ago, the Swiss Federal Council announced stricter measures to contain the Coronavirus spread in the country. These include closing schools and imposing a ban on event or gathering of more than 100 people starting immediately until April. Unfortunately this ban will include ski resorts as well. I'm not so sure if the Jungfrau Ski region will be able to continue to operate under this new restriction. Most resorts are still working on the specific details so please check the official Jungfrau website in the next few days for the latest operational update.

The situation is quite unfortunate. Hopefully things will get better soon.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Mar 20, 2020 - 11:58 AM by Anna
Lyssa
Lyssa
5 posts
Mar 16, 2020 - 3:38 AM in reply to TKimble

Here's what the Jungfrau website shows as of March 14, 2020

www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/corona/

From 15.03.2020 closed!

Due to the current situation with the corona virus the Jungfrau Railways will close all winter sports facilities and excursion lifts from 15.03.2020 until further notice (approx. end of April). (last skiing and excursion day: 14.03.2020)

The following connections are closed:

Wengen - Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch

Grindelwald - Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch

Grindelwald - First

Interlaken - Harder Kulm

Jungfrau Ski Region

Further information will follow in due course.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020