Skiing in Switzerland in August or September

Skiing in Switzerland in August or September

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
darrell
darrell
38 posts
Aug 25, 2017 - 7:30 PM

Suggestion for skiing during August or September please

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1218 posts
top member
Aug 26, 2017 - 12:51 AM in reply to darrell

Hi Darrell,

I'm not a skier, but I understand there are only two areas in Switzerland that offer skiing in August and September: Zermatt and Saas-Fee. I saw people skiing on the glacier at Mittelallalin above Saas-Fee in mid-September last year.

You can check what's open on the following websites:

www.saas-fee.ch/en/skifahren/so mmerski/

www.zermatt.ch/en/Snow -report#slopes

There are also some apps that provide information:

Snow Report

www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/apps-panoramas.html

iSki Swiss

itunes.apple.com/us/ap p/iski-swiss-the-ski-app-for-switzerland/id34025965 6?mt=8

play.google.com/store/ apps/details?id=intermaps.iskiswiss &hl=en

I have noticed others say that skiing at this time of year is only for experienced skiers.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Aug 26, 2017 - 12:53 AM by Alpenrose666
darrell
darrell
38 posts
Aug 26, 2017 - 1:54 AM

Thanks---- checking for someone as my family went skiing in Zermatt in August years ago and since things change -I was wondering if still possible!

Arno
Arno
9645 posts
expert &
Aug 26, 2017 - 6:16 AM

Hi Darrell,

For experienced skiers it will be possible at the locations that Alpenrose mentioned. It's not easy as the snow conditions are not as good as in winter, and the air is thin because of the altitude. The mornings are the best time. I think the ski lifts in Saas-Fee are not even operating in the afternoon. The lifts for hikers and sightseers are open all day though.

You'll find some basic information and links here:

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017