Sleeping in motorhome on Swiss mountain passes

• El_Vuelta
    Participant
    2 posts
    17 June 2019 at 15:54:24 #822321

Hello all,

I will be travelling in motorhome across Switzerland next month. I need to ask a couple of questions:

1) Are the mountain passes open in the late evening/early morning? Or they close during the night?

2) Is it possible/legal to sleep in our motorhome in the parkings on top of the passes (in my case, it´d be St. Gothard Pass)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brgds.-

Martin

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 10:29:05 #915420

Hello Martin,

Normally passes are open or closed due to the snow situation in the mountains and not due to day- or nigh time.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/trafficinfo

Generally speaking wild camping in Switzerland is not allowed, whereas this rule does NOT apply for areas above the tree line/timber line, so you should be fine on the Gotthard Pass. However, local regulations might apply and also basic rules of respect, so make sure you don’t ignore a “no camping” sign, e.g.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ca mpsites

Best,
    Steph

El_Vuelta
    Participant
    2 posts
    18 June 2019 at 11:59:34 #915421

Hello Steph,

Many thanks for your reply. Your information is very useful for me.

Brgds!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2019 at 18:58:54 #915422

Hi El Vuelta – Are you used to sleeping in the “thin” (low oxygen content) air at high altitudes?

Some people find difficulty in sleeping in the high Alps on their first nights. You will certainly want to be awake while traversing the passes.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Sleeping in motorhome on Swiss mountain passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11180 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.