Sleeping in motorhome on Swiss mountain passes

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
El Vuelta
El Vuelta
2 posts
Jun 17, 2019 - 3:54 PM

Hello all,

I will be travelling in motorhome across Switzerland next month. I need to ask a couple of questions:

1) Are the mountain passes open in the late evening/early morning? Or they close during the night?

2) Is it possible/legal to sleep in our motorhome in the parkings on top of the passes (in my case, it´d be St. Gothard Pass)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brgds.-

Martin

Steph
Steph
1523 posts
top member &
Jun 18, 2019 - 10:29 AM in reply to El Vuelta

Hello Martin,

Normally passes are open or closed due to the snow situation in the mountains and not due to day- or nigh time.
- www.myswissalps.com/ca r/trafficinfo

Generally speaking wild camping in Switzerland is not allowed, whereas this rule does NOT apply for areas above the tree line/timber line, so you should be fine on the Gotthard Pass. However, local regulations might apply and also basic rules of respect, so make sure you don't ignore a "no camping" sign, e.g.
- www.myswissalps.com/ca mpsites

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jun 19, 2019 - 7:37 AM by Arno
El Vuelta
El Vuelta
2 posts
Jun 18, 2019 - 11:59 AM

Hello Steph,

Many thanks for your reply. Your information is very useful for me.

Brgds!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
Jun 18, 2019 - 6:58 PM in reply to El Vuelta

Hi El Vuelta - Are you used to sleeping in the "thin" (low oxygen content) air at high altitudes?

Some people find difficulty in sleeping in the high Alps on their first nights. You will certainly want to be awake while traversing the passes.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019