Snow boots for Zermatt and Interlaken hiking April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 10:12:00 #815300

Hi all,

Very much appreciate this resource and the people that support it with their time and expertise. My friends and I have planned our upcoming trip based on many recommendations from this site, so I’m here for one more.

We’ll be visiting Zermatt next week (mid-April) before heading to Lauterbrunnen, Montreux, Lucerne, and Zurich, We’re unsure if it will be worth taking up precious space in our luggage with snow boots for our time in Zermatt since it looks like most of the other places will be snow free. I suppose there may be snow on some of the higher elevation areas above Lauterbrunnen where we may venture (Wengen, Gimmelwald, Schilthorn, etc.). I may be way off on this assumption though and happy to be corrected by someone local. 🙂

To help us decide, wondering if the areas in Zermatt and above Lauterbrunnen that are actually accessible at this time of year (realizing many trails will be closed) will require snow boots for walks/hikes.

It sounds like we’ll have to check with the tourism office upon arrival in Lauterbrunnen to tell if hikes like First-Bachalpsee, First-Gross Scheidegg, Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg, and Grutschalp-Murren will be accessible. But if they were to be “open”, does that typically mean the trails are free of snow, or could they be at least partially snow-covered where snow boots would be recommended?

Appreciate any insight!

Taryn

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 15:39:23 #882156

Hi Taryn and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You might luck out with hiking Grutschalp-Murren. I can’t imagine snow boots will be needed there.
    The others will almost certainly be closed so either way I don’t think you need to worry about snow boots. Waterproof hiking shoes/boots are always a good idea though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 19:27:51 #882157

Thank you, Lucas! Here’s hoping we find some open trails!

• The thread ‘Snow boots for Zermatt and Interlaken hiking April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.