About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum South African traveling from Milan to Switzerland
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

South African traveling from Milan to Switzerland

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Corneheyden
Corneheyden
1 post
Jan 13, 2022 - 5:55 PM

Hi there

I hope someone on here can assist. My partner and I are planning a trip from Cape Town to Milan (cheapest flights) in September (Covid travel restrictions permitting). We intend spending a total of 15 days in Europe. We will spend the first night in Milan and want to take the Bernina Express from Milan to Chur, Switzerland. We will stay in Interlaken, Wengen and Lucerne in Switzerland for a total of 5 nights and then take the train back to Venice via Milan, and travel another 8 days in Italy, before returning to Cape Town. In Switzerland we will be traveling mainly by train (and take a few cable cars).

I have been looking at the different travel passes (eg, SBB, Trenitalia Pass), but it is a bit confusing to figure out what will be best.

I really appreciate your advice!

Corné

Ildiko
Ildiko
1803 posts
top member &
Jan 13, 2022 - 8:33 PM in reply to Corneheyden

Hi Corné and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Great that you are planning a Europe trip.

As you are coming to Switzerland from Milan, have a look at www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

Regarding the Bernina Express, note that the train part of the route is from Tirano (Italy) to Chur, so you need to have a separate ticket from Milan to Tirano. You can read about the Bernina Express route here: www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/gettingthere.

Yes, I know, choosing the best rail pass can be a bit difficult. First you should have your itinerary. Then you can compare the different options. At www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass we have a great downloadable spreadsheet, that will help you to do the math and compare your options.

As you are also traveling in Italy and Switzerland, make sure to have a look at the Eurail Global Pass: www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass.

if you are not traveling that much in Italy, just in Switzerland, then usually we recommend the Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass) or the Swiss Half Fare Card (www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard).

I hope that will help you to start your calculations,

Ildiko

More about the regions you are planning to visit in Switzerland:

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022