Southern- and Eastern- Switzerland rail itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 21:26:03 #815487

Hello, all. I am looking for suggestions on a Southern- and Eastern- Switzerland rail itinerary for a visit in fall this year.

– Starting point: Geneva

– Route overview (roughly): Geneva – Zermatt – Chur – St. Gallen

I have never travelled in the Geneva area, or the canton Valais, and so would appreciate any recommendations for those areas, besides the obligatory view of the Matterhorn (is the Gornergrat the best option for that?) From Zermatt, I am looking to travel towards Chur, and then transfer and head up to the St Gallen and Appenzeller areas. (No time for Ticino or the Engadin on this trip, unfortunately!) I see that this route overlaps for a while with the Glacier Express route, so will likely take that leg of the trip, but am a little lost once I get to Chur. Is there anywhere I really should stop between Chur and St. Gallen, any sights or towns that should be on my to-do list for that region? Is 3 days realistic travel time? All suggestions for the cantons of Vaud, Vallais, St Gallen or Appenzell – or the portion of Graubünden I’ll be passing through – would be very welcome! Also any logistical tips on how to pull this all together by rail (Train from Geneva to Montreux – or catch a boat? – any suggested stops? Montreux to Zermatt, Zermatt to Chur, Chur to St Gallen… any ideas?) Am I on track here, or can you see any glaring errors in this plan? Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 6:49:47 #883004

Hi midnightsun, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Please research our webpages where you can find more information about the regions and their activities:

I personally don’t find the Geneva area very attractive, I prefer the east part of Lake Geneva. Gornergrat is a good option to view the Matterhorn. I don’t think there’s a need to stop between Chur and St. Gallen.

You only have 3 days for the whole trip? That’s not a lot. I would start with a draft itinerary including the activities you would like to do. We have some ideas listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities. I would then use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trip in more detail to understand how much time you will be spending on trains etc.

A clearly mapped out itinerary is also the basis for deciding which rail pass (if any) suits. We have more information on our webpage here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Should you have more questions, don’t hesitate to come back to the forum.

• The thread ‘Southern- and Eastern- Switzerland rail itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.