Stay longer in Zermatt or Lucerne?

• bear2019
    Participant
    50 posts
    6 December 2021 at 7:19:55 #826341

hi, I would like to get opinion.

my original plan is to spend 3 days 2 night in Lucerne, then 3 days 2 night in Zermatt.

Itinerary :

Zurich Airport > Lucerne (3days 2 night) > Zermatt (3 days 2 night).

should I consider Zermatt 4 days and Lucern only 2 days 1 night?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6383 posts
    6 December 2021 at 12:46:07 #937751

Hi bear2019,

That really depends on your interests and when you are travelling. Based on your previous posts, this is a winter trip and you’re probably planning a bit of skiing or snowboarding? In which case I would spend more time in Zermatt. If you’re mainly sightseeing, I think Lucerne would be a better option for planning day trips and excursions.

You can find more suggestions about planning a winter trip here: http://www.myswissalps.com/wheretogo/winter

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

bear2019
    Participant
    50 posts
    6 December 2021 at 13:29:28 #937752

hi Anna,

thanks for your input, yes i would like to spend more time to do winter activity.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    6 December 2021 at 14:06:49 #937753

As someone in a similar situation to you and having been both to Lucerne and Zermatt, I would agree with Anna. Much easier to get to winter activities in Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2021 at 1:20:11 #937754

Winter sports are available equally in the ‘Luzern’ area and Zermatt, however I recommend a winter sports trip is limited to one location as it takes time to familiarise oneself with all the possibilities. You can easily fill all of your proposed time in Zermatt.

The reason I put ‘Luzern’ in inverted commas is that the best winter sports place in that area is Engelberg / Titlis, so if you are doing mainly winter sports, you should stay in Engelberg not Luzern itself, although you can travel each day to Engelberg on the very fast and efficient Zentralbahn train.

• The thread ‘Stay longer in Zermatt or Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.