Base locations Switzerland before going to Italy

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Kota
Kota
2 posts
Jun 12, 2019 - 1:41 AM

Hello !

This is my first time posting here, but I 've greatly enjoyed reading all the content and advice!

I am very confused about the order in which we should be seeing things, so I am hoping for some suggestions. We will be using the rails I think to travel around, rather than renting a car.

Our plane arrives in Zurich in the early morning; and departs from Milan.

Unfortunately, we may be tired when we arrive - But I would love to see a bit of Lucerne if we could, even with our luggage in tow; and maybe have a restful meal.

I've been studying the maps, and it seems our trip has three sections.

Listed below are all the activities or things my group would like to see, but I know we can't do all :)

2 Nights: Bern (old city) ,Oberhofen Castle on Thun, Lavaux Vineyard Terraces, Rochers de Nye Scenic Peak ,Lake Geneva boat tour, Lutry, Montreux and Castle. Interests include Watchmaking , Chocolate, Cheese, Beer, Craftsman / Workshops. It would be wonderful if a base city can be suggested for this section of our trip! Also, should this section be the first or second part of our trip?

2 Nights: Jungfraujoch ; Interlaken / Wengen / Grindelwald / Lauterbrunner

Alsetch Glacier ; Truemmlbach Falls; Aare gorge; Rosenlaui Glacier Gorge. Interests include an Alpine Village Horse and Buggy ride, and Scenic Train rides of course :) I would love to see the Matterhorn, but it didn't seem doable to me.

1 Night: Bellinzona - Castles . I think this will be the third part of our trip since it seems geographically logical .

Then into Italy for the last section : Lake Como and Leaving from Milan

Thanks so much for your help !

Kota

Arno
Arno
13311 posts
expert &
Jun 12, 2019 - 5:55 AM

Hi Kota,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! For such a short visit I would not pick 3 base towns. With two nights you will only have one full day and no flexibility to shift plans if the weather is not as nice as you hoped for. Considering your interests I would suggest to have 3 nights in Montreux and 2 in Bellinzona:

Alternatively you can swap Montreux for Bern or a town in the Jungfrau region:

Personally I'd save Lucerne for a future trip, because you just can't see it all in 6 days :-)

Traveling by train is a good choice. You don't need a car for this plan, it would make things more complex I think.

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain

By the way, I am assuming that this is a summer trip.

Kota
Kota
2 posts
Jun 14, 2019 - 11:57 AM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I know we definitely want to stay around Interlaken / Wengen / Grindelwald / Lauterbrunner for at least 2 nights. I am researching to see where might be best between Bern and Montreaux (considering our interests) for the other section of our trip. I do very much want to go to Bellinzona to see the castles there. However, it looks like it is a long train journey getting to Bellinzona from the Jungfrau region.

Would you be able to suggest an order for these different sections of our trip? We should be in Lake Como on Night #6...

Thank you again!

Kota

Arno
Arno
13311 posts
expert &
Jun 14, 2019 - 3:47 PM in reply to Kota

Hi Kota,

By far the easiest option (logistically), is staying in Lucerne and Bellinzona. These towns are connected by the Gotthard Panorama Express, and Como is easy to reach from Bellinzona. Lucerne is easy to reach from Zurich airport. Another option is the Jungfrau region and Montreux, then to Como via the Centovalli line perhaps: www.myswissalps.com/ce ntovalli.

I guess you need to work with the timetable if there are other areas that you prefer, and see if the travel time is ok for you: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019