Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt itinerary for April

• JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    21 January 2019 at 10:37:36 #819564

Hello everyone,

After lurking for a week, I finally registered on this forum. While this forum has been of immense help, I have few queries.

I am planning to visit Switzerland for a week around Easter (landing on 20th April early morning and departing at noon of 27th April). I have narrowed down on attractions to visit. However, I am still confused between few of them.

Overall I am planning to cover following; (My itinerary revolves around Swiss Travel Pass)

Lucerne: Mt.Titlis, Mt Rigi, Lake Lucerne, Stanserhorn, Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument, Jesuit Church

Interlaken: Harder Kulm, Schilthorn, Brig, Jungfraujoch

Bern City tour, Zurich City tour and Rhine falls, Panoramic train

Zermatt: Matterhorn, Gornergrat

I am confused between visiting Zermatt and Jungfraujoch. Which one is suggested ?

Apart from this, I am wondering how does free rides to attractions work on Swiss Travel Pass. E.g. To visit Schilthorn, there is cable car/train from Lauterbrunnen – Mürren – Schilthorn. To visit Stanserhorn, there is free cable car ride from Stans. How do I get tickets for this ? Do I need to get any at first place ?

• Arno
    15485 posts
    21 January 2019 at 16:09:05 #902551

Hi JarvisHK,

Welcome! I am glad you decided to register! I think your choice is between the Jungfrau region (with several peaks to visit including Jungfraujoch), and Zermatt (again with several peaks). Both areas are among the best that Switzerland has to offer. It’s a personal choice to prefer one over the other. The below pages get you a lot of details on the villages and things to do:

You can get all the Swiss Travel Pass details here (how it works, where to buy, a map): http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass. You generally don’t need tickets and can just board. In case of free cable cars you will get a free ticket at the ticket booth to get access through the turnstiles.

Does this help you out?

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    21 January 2019 at 16:30:00 #902552

Thanks Arno.

Yes, your post is definitely helpful. I am trying to assess between three peaks; Matterhorn + Gornergrat v/s Jungfraujoch. Initially I planned to drop Jungfraujoch. But now I am in two minds.

JarvisHK
    Participant
    22 posts
    25 January 2019 at 10:41:09 #902553

Hello everyone again,

After deliberation, we have decided to skip Jungfraujoch and Matterhorn both. Instead we will do Schilthorn and Gornergrat. Because of flight costs, our itinerary would also need some update. We are still mulling over this. With updated flights, we would fly in and out of Geneva. Specifically outbound flight seems amazing one. We could depart from Geneva as early as 8AM or 10AM to Zurich; have a layover at Zurich and final outbound flight from Zurich at 10.40PM. This gives us nearly 8-10 hours for Zurich city tour and Rhine falls.

Barring this, we would have about 7 days in our hand. We are also thinking to cover Montreux for Chillon castle and may be some cheese and/or chocolate factory around.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Arno
    15485 posts
    25 January 2019 at 18:41:11 #902554

Hi JarvisHK,

Sorry, I have trouble understanding what has changed regarding your flights. It looks like you fly in and out of Geneva but still touch Zurich too? So you could still stay in the 3 towns you originally suggested:

Adding a fourth base (Montreux) would be too much I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 0:48:22 #902555

Flying Geneva – Zurich then getting off – going into the city then back out to Zurich airport is pointless (although it may be required a spart of your assumed iknternaitonl air ticket arrangement)

Geneva – Zurich takes just 3 hours (without any airport hassle) on the train

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 0:55:39 #902556

You don’t ‘skip Matterhorn’ by going to Gornergrat. The best views of the Matterhorn are from the Gornergrat railway – and going back to your original question – I always recommend to people Gornergrat over Jungfraujoch.

I always recommend anyway that Zermatt – Gornergrat (Matterhorn views) is a much better experience than Jungfraujoch.

The fare to Jungfraujoch is very expensive and there are many people not just me who slate Jungfraujoch as over-rated. Also the Jungfrau railway itself is mostly in tunnel whereas the Zermatt – Gornergrat trip is mostly in the open.

The mountains around Zermatt are higher than those in the Jungfrau group. Famously, of the 54 Swiss mountains with an altitude of over 4000 meters above sea level, 38 are located at Zermatt. This includes the highest mountain on Swiss territory – the Dufourspitz which is close to you when you are at the top of Gornergrat

Also consider the Rochers de Naye from Montreux.

• The thread ‘Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt itinerary for April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11220 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.