Best mode of travel in Europe with wheelchair

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 December 2016 at 12:05:12 #810477

Hello

I am planning a trip from Amsterdam to Germany to Switzerland to Belgium and back to Amsterdam this May June 2017. Can anyone suggest should one drive or take train trip. I have a daughter who is wheelchair bound, which is why we where little inclined towards drive. All suggestions in this regard will be welcome. Kindly advise.

Thanks in Advance

Sukesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 December 2016 at 6:42:05 #857543

Welcome to MySwissAlps Sukesh!

All long distance international trains that I know of are accessible for wheelchair users, including the toilet. I don’t have details regarding the other countries, but for Switzerland you can start here: http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/passengers-with-reduced-mobility.html.

Basically nothing is stopping your from using the excellent train system there, but I would recommend to carefully check the places you wish to visit. I don’t expect too many problems in general, but smaller cableways might be an issue, as well as some steep streets or old streets with cobble stones. So do pick hotels at walking distance from the train stations. The hotel section can help with that.

• The thread ‘Best mode of travel in Europe with wheelchair’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.