Saver Day Pass + 4 day Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 0:34:11 #816873

Hi! I’m confused as far as purchasing saver day pass with or without half fare card.

I will be in Switzerland for 7 days and plan on purchasing the 4-day swiss travel pass for in between as my itinerary goes like this:

1. Arrive into Zurich (stay in Zurich). Get a city day pass for transportation /sightsee?

2. Day trip to Luzern (Mt Pilatus) from Zurich. Use the STP.

3. Day trip to Bern from Zurich. Use the STP.

4. From Zurich, travel to Interlaken. Visit Grindelwald and Bachalpsee lake. Stay in Interlaken. Use the STP.

5. From Interlaken, take Golden Panoramic train to Montreux. Stay in Montreux. Use the STP for last day.

6. From Montreux travel to Geneva to spend the night in Geneva. Here I would need to buy a one way train ticket from Montreux to Geneva and possibly a 24 hr city day pass.

Should I buy a saver day pass ticket without the need to buy a half fare card? Or do I have to buy the half fare card in order for me to buy the saver day pass for a cheaper ticket to Geneva, for just that day? I understand the trip may cost around 52CHF.

7. Day in Geneva. Flight to Budapest.

Trying to save money here, but will it be better to acquire the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass and not worry about it, or what do you suggest?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2018 at 5:25:00 #889349

Hi Anaporras84,

Saver Day Passes are best used for long days of traveling without mountain excursions. They cost CHF 52 at best without a Swiss Half Fare Card. An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is only CHF 128 extra, so CHF 32 per day with much more benefits than a Saver Day Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. In your case you would not use the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass to the maximum, but if you want ultimate flexibility (e.g. jump on a boat in Zurich without buying a ticket), then this is a good option. The cheapest option is probably to combine the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass with regular tickets. In Zurich you can indeed buy a day pass or even walk if you stay in the town center: http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich/travel. In Geneva your hotel gets you free traveling within the city: http://www.myswissalps.com/ge neva/travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 13:10:11 #889350

Thanks, Arno. I am evaluating the individual ticket from Montreux to Geneva and found the ‘supersaver ticket’ to be an excellent option vs the “individual” ticket in the SBB app. Although, it does say this is available with a “half fare card”. My question is: if want to buy that, I just double the price to get the “real” price if I won’t buy the half fare card?

Just to clarify: the 4 day pass is 268CHF vs 8 day pass 395CHF.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 19:05:44 #889351

The Swiss Half Fare Card doesn’t usually give 50% off a Super Saver ticket due to you already getting a good discount -lower priced tickets are often 25% or thereabouts.

You prices are about correct yes. You can find prices from various retailers here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 June 2018 at 20:35:13 #889352

Don’t forget a Supersaver Ticket is only valid for a specific train departure. Miss it and you need a new ticket.

A Swiss Half Fare Card costs CHF120. Not a great investment to get a reduction on a Supersaver ticket.

• The thread ‘Saver Day Pass + 4 day Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.