Swiss Card + Swiss Half Fare + purchase confusion

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2010 at 11:30:23 #804023

Hello. I will travel from Geneva airport to Lausanne and back 15 October / 21 October with short train trips in between (Lausanne – Vevey, Lausanne – Bussigny, Lausanne – Montreux) I have read about the Swiss Card that is available on the Rail Europe site, but do not see it on the SBB site. If someone could advise:

1 – is it worth it for me to buy a Swiss Card ?
    2 – Is it valid if bought thru rail Europe when not available on the SBB site?
    3 – can I purchase this when I arrive in Geneva airport train station?
    4 – my husband will travel with me for the Gen-Lau-Gen portion. Do we get any price breaks for traveling as a couple

Many thanks for any info.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 October 2010 at 4:39:03 #831893

Hi pcinsb,

1. I would recommend a Swiss Half Fare Card. It offers the same advantages as the Swiss Card, except for the free round trip. You don’t need to pay the higher price for that free transfer as you only make short trips.

2. Yes, both passes are valid, regardless of where you purchase it.

3. The Swiss Half Fare Card can be purchased in Geneva. I’m not sure about the Swiss Card.

4. No, there is no such discount for these passes. Your husband can best buy a regular non discounted ticket.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2010 at 12:32:11 #831894

Hi,

We are group of 4 & would be travelling from Venice to interlaken & while coming back we would be going from Inetrlaken to Rome.

• Please let us know, Can we buy Swiss half rate cared from Venice or Milan

• If yes then what is the 2nd class fare for Milan to Interlaken with swiss half card. (the SBB.ch shows it is 138 CH for 4 but valid of 1yr Swiss half rate card)
    • If no then where can we buy or would you suggest alternate route to travel. we are open to travel via road also.
    Arno
    15471 posts
    11 October 2010 at 14:06:33 #831895

Hi rajarshi,

• I’m not sure whether you can purchase it there. You can best ask the Italian Railways about that. If they don’t sell it at the station, you may want to search for a travel agency specialized in rail travel;
    • The price with the 1 year Swiss Half Fare Card is the same as with the 1 month Swiss Half Fare Card;
    • You can purchase it online from the Swiss Half Fare Card page. That way, you’ll have it available in advance. I would definitely recommend a train trip. I don’t think there’s a bus service available, and if there is, it will take more time.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2010 at 7:41:18 #831896

Suppose we don’t get the half card at Milan or Venice, would it be available at Spiez or in Interlaken

Regards

rajarshi

Annika
    7103 posts
    18 October 2010 at 9:08:55 #831897

Hello rajarshi. The Swiss Half Fare Card is indeed available at larger railway stations in Switzerland during opening hours. Interlaken is definitely one of them. Further purchase options can be found at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

Kind regards,

• The thread ‘Swiss Card + Swiss Half Fare + purchase confusion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.