Swiss Flexi Saver Pass or Half Fare Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2012 at 15:23:20 #805139

Which Swiss Flexi Saver Pass or Swiss Half Fare Pass should I buy?

I am reaching Zurich Airport and travelling to Interlaken on day 1.

On day 2 I want to go to Mt Jungfrau. (Where and which card will I get best discount?)

On day 3, planning to go Mt Titlis. (how to reach here?)

Can you please suggest best way/route to go up and come down the MT Jungfrau? There are lot of different stations/routes which I am getting confused. I dont want to do hiking/trekking

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    10 February 2012 at 4:06:52 #835660

Hello Ankster! The Swiss Half Fare Card would be the best choice in your case. It offers a 50% discount on all trips you want to make. You’ll find more details, purchase options and a link to a validity map at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

As for planning your trips: there are two routes from Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch: one via Grindelwald, and one via Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. Both are gorgeous, so I’d suggest to take one route on your way up, and the other on your way down. Just get to one of the desks at the railway station in Interlaken, show your Swiss Half Fare Card and explain that you want to make such a round trip; they’ll get you the right discounted ticket for the entire trip.

Further planning can be done through the online timetable. The trip to the Titlis can be found here as well (enter ‘Kleintitlis’ as your destination).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2012 at 7:50:28 #835661

Dear Madam

Thanks for great information.

Can you please clarify on below details?

1) Zurich Airport to Interlaken Station (Is it better to stay at Zurich, Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen?) I want to travel to Mt Jungfraujoch the next day.
    2) For Mount titlis visit should I stay at Lauterbrunnen/ Interlaken or Luzern? I have to leave back from Zurich airport

With the Swiss half fare card I would receive discount of 50% on all the routes? (Zurich-Interlaken-Mt Jungfraujoch-Interlaken-luzern-zurich by train)

So as per your reply below you say Swiss Half fare card is good. I was just wondering whether there are other cards which gives certain routes free and rest 50% discount? Will that be good for my itinerary?

Regards

Ankster

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 February 2012 at 10:20:37 #835662

Hi Ankster,

Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald would be perfect places to stay if you go to the Jungfraujoch the next day. Luzern is a good starting point for a trip up the Titlis. Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card provides a 50% discount on your routes. Just check the map Annika referred to to see for youself.

Yes, there are other passes. You already mentioned the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, which does exactly that: free days + discounted days. The Swiss Half Fare Card would be the cheapest choice in your case. You can calculate that yourself.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2012 at 15:09:59 #835663

Do I need to book for mt titlis or Mt Jungfrauch in advance or can i book when I reach there?

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 February 2012 at 15:57:31 #835664

No, you don’t. You can get the tickets at the valley station before boarding the cable car/train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2012 at 16:25:46 #835665

Dear Sir/Madam

Can I book train tickets online selecting half fare option and buy this card when I arrive in Switzerland? Or is it necessary to have card to book ticket online?

Will I be able to purchase Swiss Half Fare card from Zurich Airport?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    12 April 2012 at 4:07:01 #835666

Hello ankster,

Yes, you can buy your train tickets (half fare) online, before you actually have a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can order the Half Fare Card online at the same time here. (Personally I prefer to get my Passes this way.)
    But if you prefer to buy this Card at the railway station of Zürich Airport, that’s possible too during opening hours of the ticket counter from 06:15 to 22:00.

Your train tickets are no seat reservations. These reservations are only possible (and necessary) for special panoramic trains, like the Golden Pass Line, the Bernina Express, the Glacier Express, etc. and international trains

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2012 at 13:49:37 #835667

Dear Sir/Madam

Thanks for reply. You mean to say that that there is free seating in the train once you book the tickets. i.e. You have reserved the rights to travel with ticket but you need to seat wherever it is available in the train.

Which station is starting point for Mt Titlis? I have booked hotel near Luzern Station.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    12 April 2012 at 14:38:40 #835668

Hello ankster,

Yes, I meant to say you can use the seats wherever you like in the class you have your tickets for.

To reach Mt. Titlis you’ll have to travel by train from Lucerne to Engelberg, There you can walk in less then 10 min. to the gondolas and cable car to Mt. Titlis. You can check the details through the Timetable, entering Lucerne (departure) and Kleintitlis (destination).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2012 at 17:10:24 #835669

Dear Sir/Madam

Are there any package for Mt Titlis which includes everything like Travel on the 3 cable cars Engelberg–Trübsee–Stand–Titlis and back down (incl. Rotair ride on the world’s first revolving cable car), Return trip on the «Ice Flyer» (glacier chairlift at 3000 m), Unlimited use of the different snow toys in the Titlis Glacier Park, Visit to the Titlis Glacier Cave (for free)?

Is there any package like above available at station?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    17 April 2012 at 3:33:45 #835670

Hello ankster,

If I understand your question correctly, you are wondering how many tickets each person will need to go up and down all the way.
    At the valley station you’ll buy one return ticket for each person to reach the mountain station Klein Titlis. I don’t know if the return ticket for the Ice-Flyer can be included as well.

If you have e.g. a Swiss Half Fare Card you’ll get a 50 % discount between the valley station and Klein Titlis. No discount for the Ice-Flyer though.

I hope this answers your question.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2012 at 12:24:14 #835671

Dear Sir/ Madam

I have booked ticket from Luzern to Zurich Airport (Zürich-Flughafen).

I have booked for 15th May for 12:10 pm but ticket does not show any time. Can we travel any train from Luzern to Zurich Airport or only the train which we booked?

Regards

Ankur Mehta

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    21 April 2012 at 14:35:15 #835672

Hello Ankur,

If your ticket doesn’t show a time, it will be valid on the day you have booked your ticket for, and not only for the train which leaves at 12:10 pm from Luzern.

• The thread ‘Swiss Flexi Saver Pass or Half Fare Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.